Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 21, 2011, 01:06 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default win 7 disk spanning

hey guys, does anyone know when using win7 software disk spanning and 1 drive fails, all spanned data is unrecoverable? or can you restore the data from the undamaged disks? you would think it would be fairly trivial to support such a feature, as data reside on 1 disc and not split ala raid0/1..

this older topic was about the best i could find regarding this - http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/766556

i simply want a way for a few drives to appear as a single drive through a network connection, i have no issues with managing the data manually from the host end. i also have no need for redundancy
Old June 21, 2011, 07:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think redundancy would be good in your case, no more issues with failed drives. because if you go JBOD it would still be the same issue.
Old June 21, 2011, 07:49 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I suppose it's likely you'd be able to recover the remaining data, but probably not from Windows. A live distro of Linux would probably show all the drives as independent.

You could easily test to verify this though I'd suggest just going with RAID1 so you have some redundancy.

I'm assuming the main reason is that you don't want to have multiple shares mapped on the other PCs? You could just make shortcuts to the other shares using the UNC paths within 1 share.
Old June 21, 2011, 02:12 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

thanks guys, i was just about to try the shortcut idea before i came to post, hoping for a cleaner solution