Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 18, 2011, 03:56 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default agility 3

Hi everyone, i can be interested to buy myself a ssd, im looking at the spec of the agility 3 vs the vertex 3 and for me it look the same, do i realy see a every day difference? the vextex 3 is about 80$ more expensize(bolt 120gb) or can you give me another '' best buy '' for the same price, im looking at about 200$ but can go a litle higher if needed, 1 120gb ssd or 2x 60gb in raid 0, will be using the stock sata3 port of my p8p67 pro

also i remember reading a ''how to'' to setup windows when using a ssd long time ago, do i still need to do it in windows 7? a link can be usefull

Thanks
Phil
Old June 18, 2011, 06:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I think the Corsair Force Series 3 is also a decent option.

But nothing wrong with the Agility either, and still faster than previous generation SSDs for the most part.

Nothing you must do with Windows 7, but there's optional tweaks that you can pursue if you want. They're all user suggested though without any real research behind them that I'm aware of. So long as TRIM is functional, I wouldn't worry too much.
Old June 19, 2011, 05:03 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Some other options which are almost in your price range and size are the 128GB versions of the Crucial c300 (probably the best for your buck going and my fav of the last gen) and the newer C400 / m4 (they cant compete against the V3 or V3 max iops...but they are still VERY good and its debatable how they would fare against the slower NAND equipped Agility 3).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 20, 2011, 01:40 PM
Allstar
F@H

thanks for your reply guys

the only last question before buying it is 2x60gb in raid or 1x120gb?

Thanks
Phil
Old June 20, 2011, 02:00 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Raid means no trim support. I would not recommend it unless you went 60 x3 or preferably 60x4. Its only with greater numbers that Raid starts to make some sense...AND SF drives get dirty and stay dirty at the drop of a hat. Now if you were talking about C300/C400's....maybe...BUT the 64gb c400 and 64gb c400 are MUCH slower than the 128 version.

My recommendation to all peeps is buy the single LARGEST ssd you can afford, after that IF you feel you need even more speed save up and get a second, third and maybe fourth. But most peeps rarely need another second shaved off app load times ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr