Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 9, 2011, 05:44 AM
Banned

Default Is TRIM work on Intel gen 2 set on IDE

the question say everything I want to know if TRIM is working on Intel second generation of SSD ? I ask because I can't test mine for now with ""fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify"
Old June 9, 2011, 06:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No.

You need to set it to AHCI on SATA in order for TRIM to work. It has never worked on IDE. Only idle garbage collection works on IDE
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old June 9, 2011, 06:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
But what about SSD TRIM?

TRIM is non-specific to either SATA controller mode, and will work equally well in both IDE and AHCI-mode. Benchmark Reviews will soon publish a detailed report that illustrates the recovery levels for each SSD controller tested here.
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...&limitstart=12
Old June 9, 2011, 06:27 AM
Banned

Hummmmmmm. is that so for all the drive, My Intel gen 2was set on IDE, and I swear that it perform way better after I use the Intel tools. Unfortunately fallowing the little food on my system I can check it now.
Old June 9, 2011, 06:44 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yes, it will perform better after using the Intel Toolbox...as the toolbox as a special command it can send (and the drive looks for) to do a "TRIM" like command even in IDE mode (though its more like the command Inid's wiper.exe sent). That was the biggest claim to fame of the Intel Toolbox as it allowed systems that did not support AHCI mode properly to still support the Intel SSDs "properly" ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 9, 2011, 06:53 AM
Banned

thanks AKG, but still not sure, is windows TRIM command work on the Intel Gen 2 ?
Old June 9, 2011, 10:19 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Gen 2, yes. It has TRIM enabled firmware for a loooong while now. :)

But remember the SSD is only one link in the chain. Any link missing == no TRIM. OS, drivers, controller, ssd. ALL four need to be working to get TRIM. I dont know your specs so I cant say 100%...but most likely..yes.
Oh and that windows command prompt. It is almost entirely useless. All it tells you is if the OS itself is sending the commands (ie the first link in the chain). You can be in IDE mode and it still will happily send the TRIM command. It wont go anywhere but the OS will be happy as it has done its part. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 9, 2011, 10:21 AM
Banned

thanks AkG actually it's not mine, I try to help someone, mine was on my defund ( RIP ) motherboard , so I can check it for now.