Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 4, 2011, 11:08 AM
Allstar
F@H

Question FreeNAS & Seedbox Question

Heya All,
Just had a quick question in regards to a secondary plan I had coming up I've been looking into doing a home seedbox since Shaw has some RIDICULOUS plans coming out (Going to be hosting an assload of linux images for multiple distros), now I want to be able to have multiple users login to the seedbox via webgui so I don't have everyone sharing one mega-list, if everyone has their own I don't have to worry about stuff going missing, new random crap being added around my liveCD images etc.

1) Can the built in torrent client in FreeNAS support multiple logins for users to do this? Hell does it specifically have a webgui or does one have to log into the nas via browser and control it that way?

2) My initial idea was building a cheap VMWare server with a quad core Athlon II, having 1 core for PFSense, 1 Core for Misc. Linux stuff, then the remaining 2 each having a VM with basically just linux and rtorrent running, to allow 2 users to login via web browser and do their thing.

Which do you think would be easier to do? And which would be better off if you had to allow access to someone who wasn't exactly tech savvy?
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old June 4, 2011, 05:11 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I run and own a seedbox company, to be able to have several logins on one machine you could easily just use torrentflux b4rt and simply create a new user for each one simple as that. Just be careful about bandwidth limits, I just had a 100 mbps package that I thought was great but they recently just put a 250gb cap on.
Old June 4, 2011, 07:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

no, just no. torrentflux is terrible.
You can easily have multiple users with rutorrent, i've set it up that way a few times.
Old June 4, 2011, 08:34 PM
Allstar
F@H

So I'm guessing the VMWare linux installs with a torrent client are just best instead of running whatever comes standard on freeNAS?
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old June 4, 2011, 09:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would go that route, yes.
The amount of control you'd have with rtorrent + rutorrent is much superior.