Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 2, 2011, 10:44 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default NAS Raid hardware advice

Please give a recommendation of NAS RAID with approx 4TB storage (in RAID 5 config). Keep costs reasonable (no SSD drives)
Old June 2, 2011, 10:48 AM
Allstar
F@H

Building your own from the ground up is definitely the best solution. The most expensive part of the build will be a high quality RAID card. (You can tend to find Dell or 3ware cards cheap on eBay which could be the best place to look). 4x1.5TB drives will give you around 4.5TB of storage, keeping the costs down by only needing a 4 port RAID card. Could just as easily hit up some sale priced 2TB drives which should only be a couple of dollars more (Sometimes even cheaper than the 1.5TB's).
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old June 2, 2011, 10:54 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Its for work so we could build one, although I think my Manager would probably like an off the shelf option if possible.