Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 1, 2011, 05:07 PM
MVP
F@H

Default SSD upgrade for an SR-2 setup

Some background:

The SR-2 has a Marvell 9128 SATA III (x1) controller. Basically, its bus/performance limited thus rendering the added throughput of the latest generation of SSDs useless. Now I want to go 2x-240GB Vertex 3 (or maybe a couple of M4s). The system currently has 2x-X25Ms and they run fine but I recently sold 4 SR-2 folding machines and can't upgrade to Interlagos (if ever) or the LGA2011 until Intel or AMD decides to release them. So here I am going for the unneeded upgrade and hardware whoredom.

My options:

1. Stick with ICH10R and live with the "measly" theoretical throughput. Honestly, will I even realize the difference?
2. Buy a RAID controller. eg. LSI 9260-4i or something similar which costs an arm and half a testicle.
3. Get a Revodrive X2 (very problematic with the SR-2) and will probably be EOL soon.
4. Buy a couple of Vertex 2s instead (throughput is capped by the ICH10R anyway) and save the extra cash for when my wife finds out I just bought useless stuff again and kicks me out of the house.
5. Keep the X25s and just spend the extra cash on the wife so she doesn't kill me when I eventually move to a 4P machine.

Your thoughts?

PSXeven. Batards of the World Unite!
The gap between happiness and utter misery is only but a few inches
Old June 1, 2011, 05:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeven View Post
Some background:

The SR-2 has a Marvell 9128 SATA III (x1) controller. Basically, its bus/performance limited thus rendering the added throughput of the latest generation of SSDs useless. Now I want to go 2x-240GB Vertex 3 (or maybe a couple of M4s). The system currently has 2x-X25Ms and they run fine but I recently sold 4 SR-2 folding machines and can't upgrade to Interlagos (if ever) or the LGA2011 until Intel or AMD decides to release them. So here I am going for the unneeded upgrade and hardware whoredom.

My options:

1. Stick with ICH10R and live with the "measly" theoretical throughput. Honestly, will I even realize the difference?
2. Buy a RAID controller. eg. LSI 9260-4i or something similar which costs an arm and half a testicle.
3. Get a Revodrive X2 (very problematic with the SR-2) and will probably be EOL soon.
4. Buy a couple of Vertex 2s instead (throughput is capped by the ICH10R anyway) and save the extra cash for when my wife finds out I just bought useless stuff again and kicks me out of the house.
5. Keep the X25s and just spend the extra cash on the wife so she doesn't kill me when I eventually move to a 4P machine.

Your thoughts?
Clearly the last option is the best, since Ivy bridge is 6 months away, and will rip the pants off everything.

Besides, whats the point of RAID'd SSD's on the SR2 anyways? Increases PPD 100 points? lolz.
I mean, if you're that itching to spend cash, Ive got a rig for you...
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old June 1, 2011, 05:20 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Stick to the X25s. I tried the Raid 0 SSD setup during the Challenge on my Customer's rig (dual Gskills), and I felt no sizeable difference over my ex-SR2, which had a single Corsair F100.

It's already plenty fast. Revo? Stay far, very far from it when handling a SR2...
Old June 1, 2011, 05:26 PM
Banned
F@H

if you have something that works with it? keep it.

else,headaches may (will) follow! :p
Old June 1, 2011, 05:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

do nothing, or buy one of thoses 4 sockets amd Boards.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old June 1, 2011, 05:54 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Besides, whats the point of RAID'd SSD's on the SR2 anyways?
I put single SSDs on all of the folding machines because I hate waiting for windows to bootup when optimizing settings. When I started using one as a workstation, I figured a RAID SSD was in order. Not a big justification, but a reason nonetheless.

Old June 1, 2011, 05:57 PM

My System Specs

What are you using this machine for? Either way I doubt you'll notice any difference in perceivable speed w/ faster SSD's.
Old June 2, 2011, 02:30 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
What are you using this machine for? Either way I doubt you'll notice any difference in perceivable speed w/ faster SSD's.
It's now my main workstation / gaming rig. So sometimes it's nice to have all that I/O speed.