Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 29, 2011, 12:08 PM
Top Prospect

Default Intel Smart Response

So I'm getting a Z68 mobo to use Smart Response tech.

My question is do you need to reformat your main HD and do a fresh install of windows after adding the SSD or can you install windows on the main HD first then plug in the SSD after? Would Smart Response work by doing the latter?

The reason why I'm asking is because if I wanted to get a new SSD after installing windows and some programs I want to know if I have to go through all the hassle of reformatting the HD and reinstalling windows if I do.
Intel i5 2500k stock, Corsair H70, Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4 mobo, 8GB G-Skill DDR3-1600, Sapphire 6870, 60GB OCZ Agility 3, 1 x WD Black 1TB, 4 x Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB, Thermaltake Spedo Advanced Tower, Seasonic M12D 850w
Old May 29, 2011, 12:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
So I'm getting a Z68 mobo to use Smart Response tech.

My question is do you need to reformat your main HD and do a fresh install of windows after adding the SSD or can you install windows on the main HD first then plug in the SSD after? Would Smart Response work by doing the latter?

The reason why I'm asking is because if I wanted to get a new SSD after installing windows and some programs I want to know if I have to go through all the hassle of reformatting the HD and reinstalling windows if I do.

Simplfied, SRT is just setting up a RAID array, therefore you must reinstall your OS in order to gain advantage of SRT.

Thus you cannot just 'add' a SSD and have SRT work.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old October 31, 2011, 03:59 AM
Rookie

You have to have motherboard in Raid mode. I've understand that if you have installed your Windows with motherboard in raid mode, you can install the SSD later and use SRT. I have another problem that maybe someone can help me with:

I'm looking for a functionality/application acting like:
1. Smart responce technology (problem: cannot be used when OS is installed on SSD) or
2. Readyboost, but without deleting the cache during reboot.

I want a program/function working like a read and write cache(*) for a the 7200rpm drive (using e.g. 10-30GB of the SSD disk or USB for cache) that "survives" OS restart. Do anyone know if there exist any application with this functionality (Solutions I know: 1. buy a second SSD to use for HD cache, and 2. I could install OS on the 7200 rpm drive and use part of the SSD as cache)?

(*) With cache I mean something like:
- mirror the latest filecs read from the HD, and
- writes data directly to the USB, and later mirror the data to the Hard drive (when it has started up from idle to 7200rpm.)

Background: My system: Windows 7, Z68 motherboard, 120GB SSD + 1GB disk 7200rpm. The slower disk goes into standby (which is fine because I doesn't use it very often), but when data is needed it starts up slowly which is annoying. data is needed it starts up slowly which is annoying.