Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 25, 2011, 02:08 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default SSD for HP TX2517ca

Hey all I posted this in the mobile computing section but I think posting it here would be more appropriate,

I know SSDs are super fast, (relative to conventional HDDs) and I am thinking about upgrading laptop HP tx2517ca with an Kingston v100 128gb SSD.

Do you think this is worth the upgrade? I can't seem to wrap my head around retiring this laptop... It's still pretty good, but it's lacking speed at launching applications and it just feels slow compared to my desktop (obviously). TBH I feel pretty spoiled considering I'm the only one with two computers in my house... so getting a replacement laptop just doesn't feel right to me.

If upgrading the HDD to and SSD would increase performance of launching applications like firefox, office apps.. avg virus scans... phenomenally then I would consider forking out 200 to upgrade to an SSD. I'm not using this laptop to do any renderings... and I don't think I'm doing anything that's CPU intensive other than the apps stated above.

I use this laptop for school and I do occasional browsing of the web around the house.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old May 25, 2011, 06:16 PM
MVP
F@H

I've upgraded all my machines to SSD. I find everything just feels zippier with an SSD and to me it's worth the price of admission. I'm going to assume that this laptop uses Vista, so going with the kingston is a great move. Kingstons have excellent ITGC which keeps the drive from wearing out too quickly.
Old May 25, 2011, 06:34 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Um actually...you got that backwards mate. Sorry.

What is colloquially referred to as ITGC or Idle Time Garbage Collection is the self maintenance routines a controller uses in a non TRIM envrio to keep the NAND cells in a virgin / clean state. I.E. It keeps the drive fast and out of a degraded state. Sadly, it is MUCH harder on the NAND than TRIM is.

Kingston hasnt been a serious contender now for at least a year in the SSD world. The new V100/V+100 series are over priced, and under perform.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 29, 2011, 09:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As I said into another post, I put an OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB on a Latitude D620 and was worth all the pennies I have been told. Although the performance hit was quite something due to the lack of AHCI mode (degraded read speed from 224 to 115MB/s, WEi dropped only from 7.2 to 6.8) takes more time to wait at bios screen than the actual load of W7Ux64. So I think is worth the trouble and the expense. Maybe not the Kingston but something with Indilinx controller still works wonders.