Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 5, 2011, 09:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok, so at home I have 2 systems both with AMD Phenoms, and both with older chipsets. One is nVidia nForce 740SLi and the other is AMD 785G. Recently we got two SSDs, one Vertex and one Vertex Turbo. Both systems run Windows 7 but from what I understand there is no chance for TRIM for us. But given the thing they are running 24/7 and idle a lot during the night and during the day when we are at work, ITGC should kick in and do it's job just fine?
Oh yes, just as additional note, in case you were asking, in WEI both of them score 7.2, but measured with HD Tune 2.55 the Vertex outputs read average speed 175MB/s while the Turbo is at 218MB/s.
Old June 5, 2011, 09:15 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

When I went looking for ICH9 based boards that supported trim (AHCI), the only ones I found that had the AHCI option in the bios was the ICH9R boards. The Gigabyte and Asus manuals I downloaded and looked at all showed the AHCI option in the bios for the R versions, and never showed it for the non-R (raid) versions.
Fold for team #54196
Old June 5, 2011, 09:21 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Thats it. THAT was the caveat I was forgetting. Its ICH9R that can do it. I knew there was something I was forgetting. Good catch chrisk. :)

Marstg, you have Indilinx drives, so Trim or no TRIM.... they should stay nice and fast as they have very good ITGC Hell I used to run Indi's in nonTRIM mode as it made them faster than TRIM mode (less overhead). Let them idle as often as you can and you will be golden. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 19, 2011, 01:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

is it possible in fact that the TRIM command is something the southbridge is responsible for and not the northbridge? as in for AMD the SB850 northbrige?
Old June 19, 2011, 02:03 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yes. That is correct. Its the integrated Sata controller which passes it on to the SSD. On Intel, the controller is the part of the "Intel I/O Controller Hub" or (newer gen) "Platform Controller Hub" (aka "ICH" / "PCH"), on AMD the controller is in the SBxxx that does it (same idea...dif name as Intel and AMD havent even heard of name standardization :)~ ). SB 8 series or later is the only controller for AMD that AMD says can and will pass the TRIM command.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr