LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 18, 2011, 02:17 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Affordable SATA 2 SSD

Hi All!

Synopsis for those with short attention spans:

-Excellent SATA 2-based SSD, 60-120gb, affordable, but still excellent.

For those with more patience:

I've decided to turn the sad day of selling my beloved motorcycle into a happy day of computer upgrading by finally stepping into the SSD world. I'm still on a fairly tight budget however, and I can't afford the latest and greatest. In addition, I'm stuck firmly in the SATA2 world for the foreseeable future, on an eVGA 780i board.

I've picked through quite a number of posts, and I'm aware that there was some sort of debacle involving OCZ, and that manufacturers have moved to 25nm production. I'm also aware the Corsair now has some beautiful options, and that the Vertex 3 is redefining the modern SSD. None of that, however, speaks much to a low-cost, SATA2-based drive that will still blow my doors off when stepping up from a WD Black.

Would anyone be so kind as to make some suggestions? Are the Vertex 2s I see on sale so often at NCIX still a good, affordable option? I'm thinking a drive somewhere between 60gb and 90gb.

Thanks for any and all help in advance.
Old May 18, 2011, 02:57 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Kingston has treated me well I think thw vertex 2 might be a bit faster though
Old May 18, 2011, 03:07 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I might be wrong, but IIRC the older 780i's dont support TRIM. Or at least that is the vague recollections I have of that series of controllers from NV.

This is the first question you will NEED to find out the answer to. Without trim you are relying on what is usually referred to as "ITGC". This kind of eliminates the SF drives as they well....get slow.

To be honest, I would be very tempted to say the hell with it and get a C300 (killer speeds, good ITGC). They are getting very cheap and while you will be hit with a performance penalty on a Sata 2 rig...when you DO upgrade...presto instant performance boost. AND darn near any ssd will be OMFG fast compared to a 7200rpm hdd :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 18, 2011, 05:49 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
I might be wrong, but IIRC the older 780i's dont support TRIM. Or at least that is the vague recollections I have of that series of controllers from NV.

This is the first question you will NEED to find out the answer to. Without trim you are relying on what is usually referred to as "ITGC". This kind of eliminates the SF drives as they well....get slow.

To be honest, I would be very tempted to say the hell with it and get a C300 (killer speeds, good ITGC). They are getting very cheap and while you will be hit with a performance penalty on a Sata 2 rig...when you DO upgrade...presto instant performance boost. AND darn near any ssd will be OMFG fast compared to a 7200rpm hdd :)
Thank you for the advice! I never would have even thought of that... I googled it a bit, and found that there may be a workaround for the lack of trim support by having it accessed through Intel IDE drivers, rather than the automatic driver Windows uses, but if you think the C300 would be a better choice...well, maybe that's the way to go. I'll do some reading up on ITGC. Thanks again!
Old May 29, 2011, 09:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I got a 30 GB Vertex Turbo (firmware 1.5) from ebay these days, popped into my mobo with nForce 740 chipset, set the storage to AHCI mode and loaded W7Ux64 on it. HD Tune reported max read speed 224MB/s, min 180 something, and average 218MB/s. ATTO reported around 145MB/s at writing. WEI was 7.2. I am thinking ideal configuration would be small SSD for boot, raid 0 with 2 HDD for apps/pagefile and slow and large HDD for storage. I am not doing much stuff on my machine, some occasional gaming and some facebook gaming. The regular Vertex seems to be on sale on Newegg right now at 69$ with free shipping. ( I ordered one today) I moved the Vertex Turbo on m gf's Latitude D620, and HD Tune reported top speed around 115MB/s, no AHCI option, WEI dropped to 6.8 but machine is very snappy, I have been told facebook loads faster than any regular HDD we have on the desktop systems at home. I have the Samsung F4@320GB and she has a Seagate 7200.12@500GB, both systems with Phenom Quads and 4GB ram. The C300 SSD, especially the 64MB one has slower write speeds, but they are already advertised. To take full advantage of the sata 6 you could just get a sata6 adapter, around 40$.
Yes, so if you can still get a vertex turbo that is a terrific first try as SSD. Win7Ux64 naked install takes about 15GB with some programs should work fine. game installs should be done on a RAID 0 matrix for maxing out the read speed with the added capacity, or you could simply get to a Revo drive.

Last edited by MARSTG; June 5, 2011 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Update