Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 16, 2011, 05:58 PM
Rookie

Default Remote Access file sever

Hey guys.

First of all, sorry if this is the wrong section, feel free to move it.

Anyways,

I am looking for a product that I am not sure exists, but hopefully if it does, you can help me find it.

I have a friend who needs way to host several large and constantly updated PDF files in a way that they can be accessed remotely online.

The idea is that he would have a local copy of the file, and it could be accessed through something straight forwards like a web browser.

However, the files need to be accessed by several different people at once, potentially up to 20 or 30.
The way to access the files also has to be really straightforwards, I want to avoid anything like FTP. If it can be done through a browser, thats great.

Can anyone recommend me a product that will be able to do this? Maybe some kind of NAS box?

Thanks guys,
Ben
Old May 16, 2011, 06:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If he is the only one updating the pdf then he could just edit the files as needed and then host them on an apache server.... ?
Old May 16, 2011, 06:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Dropbox would work perfectly for this I'd say.
Old May 16, 2011, 06:46 PM
Rookie

@Perenium Thanks for the pointer, I'll look into that, but I am fairly novice when it comes to anything web related. Would it be a fairly straightforward setup?

@JD Don't you need to setup and configure a desktop client for all users of drop box though? An option that doesn't require software to be installed on all of the client machines would be ideal

Thanks again guys,
Old May 16, 2011, 06:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentech View Post
@JD Don't you need to setup and configure a desktop client for all users of drop box though? An option that doesn't require software to be installed on all of the client machines would be ideal
Only the person who needs the local copy and is editing it constantly. It'll sync automatically whenever the file is saved.

The rest can log into the web and download the file as needed. Though I'd definitely suggest installing the Dropbox software so that it syncs automatically.

At least it's seamless and entirely free.

Another thought is Google Docs, though the editor would need to upload it manually each time he changes the file. If he could forgo PDF and use Google Docs natively, then all work could be done within the browser.

Going with the FTP/Apache (HTTP) method, it could be an automated process for the editor as he could edit the PDF that is in the ftp/http root dir. Then everyone else would just go to the address and download it. You'll have to setup port forwarding though, possibly a user account (for ftp), and quite likely a dynamic DNS service to map the editors IP to a host name. Not much difference from Dropbox though, other than requiring more work to setup and relies on the editor's PC being on whenever the file needs to be accessed.
Old May 16, 2011, 07:11 PM
Rookie

Okay, thanks for the explanation!

It looks like dropbox will probably be the most simple option.

Thanks!
Old May 16, 2011, 07:23 PM
Rookie

Hmmm, sorry for the double post, but I just did some experimenting with dropbox, and it appears that anyone wanting to view the files needs to create a dropbox account.

While this could work, its really not an ideal system. Does anyone have any other suggestions of ways to make this work?

Thanks again for putting with with these newbie questions guys,

Ben
Old May 16, 2011, 09:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My only concern would be if dropbox was large enough. You mentioned multiple large files....

From what you describe I'd still do the apache method, I think.
Old May 16, 2011, 11:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

sugarsync is web accessible
Old May 17, 2011, 10:03 AM
Rookie

Okay, I'll look into Sugar-sync. My only concern is that it needs to be accessibly my multiple clients simultaneously.

Also, in regards to the size of the files, I'm thinking probably something in the order of ~15 gigs of files, although room to grow would of course be nice.

Does anyone know anything about Buffalo "Cloudstor" NAS boxes? They seem to be advertising basically what I'm looking for.

From their site....
Quote:
Full access sharing
Create folders on your CloudStor and grant full access sharing so others can upload, download, view and edit files. Share full resolution content with others - even those who do not own a CloudStor.

Access files remotely
CloudStor gives you the flexibility to access your content from any Web browser, computer or mobile device.