Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 17, 2011, 11:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

do you care about security y/n

Y - You could use either SFTP or FTPS
N - use ftp

or you could use a service like yousendit.

Old May 17, 2011, 05:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

15GB of files? I'd strongly suggest purchasing a web hosting package then. No home connection is going to have enough upload speed to dish out that kind of file size to >5 people. It would work, just very, very, slowly.

And those NAS boxes are more designed for only a few users accessing it. It's for home use, so maybe 1 or 2 family members accessing it from the web at one time.
Old May 18, 2011, 01:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

hahah, yeah at 15 gigs per person, you need a mighty large pipe, at an upload speed of a MB a second (rare for a home pipe) that's a 4 hour transfer time PER PERSON for the entire collection of files.
Old May 18, 2011, 07:40 PM
Rookie

First off, thanks for answering what appear to be stupid and straight-forwards questions. I'm still new at this.

File size is a rough estimate. Something in the order of 15 gigs, but thats spread over a pile of smaller files which don't ALL need to be accessed simultaneously.

Still, I see what you guys are saying, I'll look into something hosted professionally.

Thanks guys!