Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 12, 2011, 11:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Vertex 3 - MaxIOPS worth it or not?

So my main question is do you think there would be any actual noticable difference in between the Vertex 3 240GB and the MaxIOPS 240GB version?

The price difference is $50, so any one think it is worth it to pay more for the MaxIOPS one? Or save the $50?

Old May 12, 2011, 11:39 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Two ways of looking at it

On one hand:
Fifty bucks is a LOT to spend for a bit more IOPS. Its not like the V3 std edition is slow or anything. If the dif was 30 bucks Id say go for it, but 50$ thats a serious chunk of change. I doubt you will notice a dif in most situations. Maybe if you are going for a more enterprise enviro 75k vs 60k would make a dif, but for a home user with light que depths does 1/10 vs 1/12th of a second matter?

on the other hand....
Your looking at a serious chunk of change in buying a V3 240gb so whats an extra couple bucks.

TBH if money is no concern splurge. If that 50 could be better spent elsewhere on your upgrades...get the std version. Either way they are bloody fast. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 12, 2011, 12:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmmm, yea I think I'll save that $50 and put that towards Witcher 2 or something. Like you said they are bloody fast.

I do wish that Corsair and Patriot would get their collective butts in gear and release some next gen drives, I would really like to see how the Force GT and Wildfire perform, but I'm getting tired of waiting. Any inside word on those? I have heard April/May but that was back in late Jan I heard that.

Old May 12, 2011, 12:26 PM
Rookie

How about the Crucial M4? A great performer in its own right... and much cheaper
Old May 12, 2011, 12:43 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro_man View Post
How about the Crucial M4? A great performer in its own right... and much cheaper
This gets my vote.
Old May 12, 2011, 01:11 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

M4 is another damn good SSD. TBH, it and the V3 are simply in different league from damn near anything else out there. The only thing with Crucial...is their firmware dept are less than adept at it (or at least based on past examples of their work). SF and OCZ are kick ass in this area.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr