Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   4xhdd in RAID0 no go (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/43197-4xhdd-raid0-no-go.html)

skyline510 May 10, 2011 03:33 PM

4xhdd in RAID0 no go

hi guys,

I have 4 HDD 640gb Black I want them to be RAID0 on GA P55A-UD4P the creation of RAID0 was easy but I notice that the raid array is not bootable, but if I only select 3 hdd they are bootable. anyone experience this?

thank you

enaberif May 10, 2011 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline510 (Post 513884)
hi guys,

I have 4 HDD 640gb Black I want them to be RAID0 on GA P55A-UD4P the creation of RAID0 was easy but I notice that the raid array is not bootable, but if I only select 3 hdd they are bootable. anyone experience this?

thank you

You exceeded 2TB which unless you have a UEFI bios from my understanding can not be able to boot from.

skyline510 May 10, 2011 03:37 PM

ohhh didn't realize that... sucks i thought I can maximize the potential of 4 hdd in RAID0

Supergrover May 10, 2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline510 (Post 513887)
ohhh didn't realize that... sucks i thought I can maximize the potential of 4 hdd in RAID0

Short stroke the drives then but you wil lose some space.

skyline510 May 10, 2011 03:49 PM

I was thinking that space is not an issue i just wanted performance that's why I got 4 drives..

suggestions are welcome

enaberif May 10, 2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline510 (Post 513893)
I was thinking that space is not an issue i just wanted performance that's why I got 4 drives..

suggestions are welcome

It has become a limitation of BIOS and OS.

The issue is that the MBR tables cannot use 2TB properly for booting and thus why GPT was introduced.

Unfortunately for boot devices off a GPT table you need the UEFI bios to allow this otherwise you need to purchase a small drive for the OS (Which you should do anyways) and keep your OS and RAID array separate then you'll need to make sure the OS you are using works with GPT tables.

JimboToronto May 10, 2011 04:08 PM

Unless you need a single volume of more than 2TB, drop the RAID and use individual HDDs. While the risk of data loss isn't as big an issue as some people make it out to be, if one HDD fails all your data will depend on your backups.

If you want performance get SSDs.

I personally don't use internal HDDs. I'll use older SSDs for internal bulk storage of current data but stuff like multimedia collections goes on external HDDS.

I understand the desire to put all your movies in a single folder but it's not really feasible. Not many years ago we had to deal with the 2GB partition limit before LBA and some day a 2TB limit will seem silly in a world of petabytes and exobytes.

Even through USB3, multi-terabyte transfers take hours. Breaking up large volumes into 2TB chunks makes backups much more manageable.

Perineum May 10, 2011 07:36 PM

I would do what he's doing. SSD's are too expensive.

I'm waiting until SSD's are around the $200 for 500GB mark.

I just make sure to have a single 2TB drive to backup / mirror on to.

skyline510 May 10, 2011 08:53 PM

SSD's are a bit out of reach for now... still waiting for price to come down a bit. still deciding with RAID0 or RAID10 for the 4 drives. I do have backup of all the data's on external HDD and DVD (important ones). I have 4 of these drive might as well use them to the full potential. Thank you for the advice =)

Perineum May 10, 2011 09:46 PM

Depending on the controller RAID 0 should be the fastest.

Short stroking your HDs makes them faster too.

The combo of short stroking and RAID 0 should be pretty quick....