Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 5, 2011, 07:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Vertex 2 34nm vs 25nm

Hello, I just got a Vertex 2 25nm (if I'm not mistaken, cuz I must say I am very confused about all of this) and compared it to my 34nm used as O/S drive. The results aren't all that good for neither drives I guess... But just checking with you guys before I contact OCZ... The disk used as O/S has 49% free if that matters. As for the new drive, it has a 32GB die size, whatever that means(read it was a big deal on OCZ's forum).

I wonder if I need to activate something in order to get half decent 4K-64Thrd read on the new one.
Attached Images

Old May 5, 2011, 08:20 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

If you dont already have it...dl the latest OCZ toolbox here at the bottom of page 1
Guide New update on the 64Gb IC OCZ SSD drives

At this point in time there isnt much you really can do. 25nm is here to stay.
To make sure you are getting ALL the speed you can...do a sani erase on it (also avail in OCZ toolbox...and the real reason you should DL it), then a quick format (in a TRIM capable system) that will nuke all the data, do an end run around the Durawrite tech and get your cells into a virgin state. Then run AS-SSD again....if the numbers dont improve. You are SOL. Assuming both SSDs are in the same rig that is. If not, maybe the other rig just doesnt like your ssd. Yank it and stick it in the same rig. run as-ssd see if the numbers improve. TBH, this is bascially the reason I dont buy SF first gen 25nm drives. I either get 3x or Sf gen 2s...or C300s or M4s. 25nm + SF gen 1 == fail.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; May 5, 2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old May 5, 2011, 08:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Alright, so I guess I have a 16nm chip... Both drives are on the same machine, the 16nm one is brand new, wiping the drive is necessary even if its brand new ? I haven't installed anything on it yet.
Old May 5, 2011, 09:20 PM

Cant hurt. ;)

But what you got in speed is probably what you gonna get.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 6, 2011, 10:11 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Little correction -- you have a 25nm NAND, built in 32Gbit size chips. I think you mean a 16-chip drive, as 16nm would be a world-first. The big deal was that the chips built to hold 64Gbit required more over-provisioning, which meant your useful capacity as seen by the operating system would drop from 111.7GiB to 107.1GiB. That was what sent people screaming up the wall off the bat. The discovery of lower speeds didn't help, of course.

However, your testing's a little off. You've got the 25nm drive with FM 1.32 on an IDE interface, then your 34nm with FM 1.10 on an AHCI interface. As a general rule, AHCI is faster, but newer firmware's also supposed to improve performance. It's not apples and oranges, more apple crumble versus apple pie.
Old May 6, 2011, 10:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have no clue why my newer one runs on IDE interface, I tried messing up in BIOS and basicly caused more problems (ie. would not boot). I have since then updated the FW on my older drive to 1.33 and the differences are rather small if any.

Will the changes be very big if I manage to switch the drive to AHCI ?
Old May 6, 2011, 10:20 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Hard for me to say, I'm stuck on IDE -- but I've spent a fair amount of time trolling around reading on the OCZ forums and the forum staff push AHCI configuration pretty heavily.
Old May 6, 2011, 10:21 AM

Good catch on iDE. Wasnt paying attention. :P

Your seq speed shouldnt go up by much. Same with your 4k numbers. BUT your 4K 64 que depth SHOULD go up a good bit. Still wont be as good as the original (though maybe it will be as you DO have an older firmware on it).

Old May 6, 2011, 10:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok and remind me which one of these is the one that really matters ? I mean the one which will show in real life situation, not only in rare case scenario: startup, shut down, opening programs (nothing close to be like photoshop here).

Tisk tisk tisk AkG, you are getting old