Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 28, 2011, 02:37 PM
Top Prospect

Question Adding a WD 1TB Green Drive...

I currently have 3 HDs, this will be 4th, will be used sticky for backup. I know where to the plug the SATA cable but I was wondering if I need to run a new cable from the modular PS for the 4th HD? The existing cable has three adapters/plugs from the one line. Can I split off one of the three or should I run a new line from the PS? TIA!
Old April 28, 2011, 03:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You can split off. I have 8 HDDs running off a single "line" without any apparent issues.
Old April 28, 2011, 03:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If I had the choice I'd run another line from the PSU because I find adaptors can get loose more easily than cables clipped to my PSU, but as JD said it should be fine. (my PSU has a modular cable with 4 SATA, and I used that with no issue with 3 hard drives and an SSD)

Quote:
no output can deliver more than 240 VA continuously (240 VA is the same thing as 240 W in a DC circuit) ... this limit is PER WIRE. **
I'd like to see a combination of 4 hard drives that can draw anywhere near 240W

**Everything You Need to Know About Power Supplies | Hardware Secrets
Old April 28, 2011, 03:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Hard drives use the most power upon initial boot and then almost nothing after that. Its why some RAID cards allow for staggered startup so that not all the drives are powered up at once and doesn't cause as much strain on a power supply.

But 4 drives on one string is harmless.
Old April 28, 2011, 05:30 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks gentlemen, I appreciate the quick feedback. Cheers!
Old April 28, 2011, 06:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
If I had the choice I'd run another line from the PSU because I find adaptors can get loose more easily than cables clipped to my PSU, but as JD said it should be fine. (my PSU has a modular cable with 4 SATA, and I used that with no issue with 3 hard drives and an SSD)
I merely clip more SATA power plugs onto the cables ;) They just push on so it's quite simple. Helps cable management too when they're all lined up properly. Obviously a slightly more "advanced" approach though.