Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 27, 2011, 07:08 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default QUIET 3.5" HDD?

I've got an old crapper I use for a TV box, but it is in the same room I sleep, and no other sounds typically drown it out. I've got a 2.5" drive that is merely adequate for silence (7200rpm, kinda 'ticks'), and hoped to use a quieter one, but either will fill up quickly.. In any case..

I need the storage space of a desktop hard drive but the silence of a laptop drive. I've never owned a "green" or low power drive, so will these be as quiet (read, write and idle) as a laptop hard drive?
I've checked reviews but they seem a tad inconsistent.

thanks!
Old April 27, 2011, 07:15 PM
Banned
F@H

depends how sensible thou art...

a wd green is pretty quiet, not as quiet as a sammy though. if you sleep with your ear next to it..then
youre done for,
Old April 27, 2011, 10:08 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Its under a desk about 8' away. Case doesn't help much for noise, and I'd even prefer it open for air's sake.

OK. What about this?
Get a small capacity SSD for the OS and as a download location, so a large capacity drive wont be writing downloads or recorded media while I'm sleeping. Idling noises still near silent or... that odd humming I can't escape
Old April 27, 2011, 10:54 PM
Banned
F@H

youll be wearing that ssd out pretty fast...try the wdears2tb..its 70 bucks at the ncix right now.
do the parking trick to 5 minutes,and youll be fine. i have a few next to me on the table and they dont bother me,much or at all.
continuous writes/reads
Old April 28, 2011, 01:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The 1TB 7200.12's with 500GB platters are supposed to be pretty darn quiet and they're also darn cheap. Bestdirect had them lowest price in Canada for awhile with free shipping. That deal might still be going, not sure.

I have two 2TB Greens and they're pretty quiet.
Old April 28, 2011, 02:00 AM
Banned
F@H

any word on recent faillure rates?
Old April 28, 2011, 02:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
any word on recent faillure rates?
I'm assuming you're talking about the 7200.12's? I'm not sure, but I know after the whole 7200.11 fiasco a lot of people stay clear of Seagate. Having said that, I can't see Seagate not making sure the 7200.12's were solid after that mess. I've never had any problem with Seagate drives myself, but I haven't owned one since the 7200.9's.

As for the Greens, I've only heard about a lot of them failing as OS drives due to the parking heads. I only use mine as media drives for my WDTV Live, so they're only ever on for about two hours at a time when I'm watching a movie.
Old April 28, 2011, 06:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The Recent Seagates are not too bad thus far, although they are still sitting at a higher failure rate than the WD's that I have at work, and I get a fairly good demograph on it.

That being said, I don't see why someone would avoid them now.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 28, 2011, 06:30 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

For decent silence try the Seagate 7200.12 500Gb. Single platter drives always sound the quietest to me.

Alternatively, for even more silence, check out the single platter WD Blue drives. I have a slightly older WD Blue 320Gb Single platter in one machine that is basically inaudible except during a heavy operation like a defrag.
Old April 28, 2011, 06:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have WD Caviar Green 1.5 TB (both the EADS and the 4kb sector EARS models) and a selection of laptop drives. The Caviar Greens are so quiet when they're not seeking that when I use them in an external enclosure it's easier for me to feel the drive for vibrations than it is to try to listen for them. They still have some noticeable "ticking" sounds while they're seeking that I can hear (but is not bothersome) from about 2-3m away.

As for laptop drives, I own a Seagate Momentus XT (7200RPM + flash) and a WD Scorpio Blue. I'd say the seeking noise of the Caviar Greens is still louder than that for both of the laptop drives that I own if I put the laptop drives in AN ENCLOSURE. I can hear (although barely) the Green seeking over 900RPM 120mm Scythe S-Flex fans, but I cannot hear the laptop drives under the same background noise of case fans. My laptop (Dell Dimension 1420) amplifies seeking noises greatly so I won't compare that way.

Of course this is subjective and I found that it GREATLY depends on the case / enclosure that you're using. I've conditioned myself to be able to sleep with a WD Caviar BLACK ticking away in a PC that's 3m away from my bed so