Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   USB3.0 not working (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/42740-usb3-0-not-working.html)

p3t3rson April 22, 2011 11:25 AM

USB3.0 not working

So I picked up a Lacie USB3.0 external drive on sale at NCIX.com to use with my ASUS Rampage III Extreme for the odd files transfer and such. However, when I plug the Lacie drive into the onboard USB3.0 ports I get a message saying to connect the drive to a usb 3.0 speed port for faster file transfer. Yet the drive is connected to the usb3.0 connection. If I try and do a file transfer I top out around 26MB/s. Any ideas why the usb 3.0 is not working? I doubled and triple checked the connections and drivers. :angry2:

lowfat April 22, 2011 12:14 PM

Don't suppose you know anyone local you could try the USB3.0 drive on to see if it acts similarly?

p3t3rson April 22, 2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 508596)
Don't suppose you know anyone local you could try the USB3.0 drive on to see if it acts similarly?

Afraid not :blarg:

EDIT: So I am now thinkng my OC is the problem. But I don't know is what part of my OC it is. I went into the BIOS and loaded factory defaults and now during a large .mkv file tranfser my transfer speeds avg 55MB/s. Still seems a little low.

sswilson April 22, 2011 01:30 PM

Is there a specific USB3 cable?

enaberif April 22, 2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 508610)
Is there a specific USB3 cable?

Yesir.

The plug on the end is blue not black.

AkG April 22, 2011 02:28 PM

What model Lacie did you pick up? When you were getting 55mb/s how much of the lacie's space was full?
If its a Lacie Rikiki its a 5400rpm hitachi hdd in it (or at least that is what is in my 1tb rikiki) thus 55 is not outside the realm of possibility!

When in doubt...upgrade the NEC controller firmware and drivers. Your mobo mfger's driver and firmware are probably atleast one revision out of date (or more). I get mine from SONY/NEC/RENESAS Drivers & Firmwares

p3t3rson April 22, 2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkG (Post 508623)
What model Lacie did you pick up? When you were getting 55mb/s how much of the lacie's space was full?
If its a Lacie Rikiki its a 5400rpm hitachi hdd in it (or at least that is what is in my 1tb rikiki) thus 55 is not outside the realm of possibility!

When in doubt...upgrade the NEC controller firmware and drivers. Your mobo mfger's driver and firmware are probably atleast one revision out of date (or more). I get mine from SONY/NEC/RENESAS Drivers & Firmwares

Mine is the 1TB LaCie Rikki, in properties it lists it as a Toshiba MK1059GSM drive. I downloaded a newer driver from station-drivers. Transfer speed jumped to an avg 74MB/s :clap: Much better. Then I returned to my original OC and my original problem returned. So there is definitely something wrong with my OC. Just have to figure out what.

EDIT: So I lowered my PCIE from 101 to 100 and USB3.0 now works perfectly.

overclockdrew May 4, 2011 02:19 PM

i have a ga-770t-usb3 mb and my usb 3.0 wont work i installed the drivers and when i plug it in it dose not work