Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 12, 2011, 06:17 AM
Allstar

Default WD Green Caviar as OS drive

is there a problem to use a Green as OS drive on WHS server ?

Last edited by botat29; April 12, 2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old April 12, 2011, 06:43 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I would say yes and no. No because it is a HDD as well as other comparable HDDs. Yes because it is not meant to be a primary OS drive as it is aimed to save power and to save power it will come at a reduced performance. Just get a regular 1TB drive or less instead like the WD Caviar Blue/Black or the Samsung Spinpoint F3/F4.
Old April 12, 2011, 06:54 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Typically I buy the WD greens for storage space - as in 1.5-2+ TB. It would be a waste as an operating system drive, cause I wouldn't use all the extra space on it. And you shouldn't store data on your OS drive, in case of failure. (easier to ghost / restore just the OS)
I just buy cheap 500 gig WD blues ($40) for my home servers, and ghost them every so often. no need for RAID 1 at home with ghost + incremental backups on the data drives.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old April 12, 2011, 07:05 AM
Allstar

Oups I change my first post, I means it's for a Windows Home Server that will be used only to store files , and files not use often. I have another WHS for media stuf , even if I use a small OS drive , the WHS will put some data on the OS drive anyway so.... I don'T really need back-up since those files will be duplicate in the WHS and I have them also another place.
Old April 12, 2011, 07:35 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, by default WHS will make a 20 gig partition for the OS, then use the rest of the drive for data. I guess you can change this somehow, people have said it can be done before.. I never really looked into it personally though.

Using a WD green for an OS drive in WHS is perfectly fine. It's just a little slower, but who cares.. it's not slow enough to matter anyways.
The only problem I can think of, is if the newer 64M drives need a special alignment tool for the 4k sectors to create the partitions.. i'm not certain if WHS / server 2003 would have a problem with this or not.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old April 12, 2011, 07:57 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The big issue with it is the 8 second head parking issue. IF you don't change that with WDIDLE3 to off (or something more resonable than 8 seconds)....you will kill the hdd well before the warranty is up. I've seen them go tits up in under 6mths when used as an OS drive.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 12, 2011, 08:44 AM
Allstar

Thanks AKG, I know they was something wrong using it, but I can't find it and Rison point a second problem with the sectors, anyway this is just for play with it, as I have another WHS and soon one with the WHS 2011, I just wait for antivirus, for now only the Norton work and you need to purchase 5 licences, I use Avast WHS on my first WHS and I like it, I will wait Avast update to 2011 .....
Old April 12, 2011, 08:49 AM
MVP

My System Specs

You could also try getting a Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2TB instead. I have been using them for 4 months now and it has been trouble free so far.
Old April 12, 2011, 10:29 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0991 View Post
You could also try getting a Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2TB instead. I have been using them for 4 months now and it has been trouble free so far.

I already have 6 greens ..... aside if you read me other post I prefer give my money to WDC....
Old April 12, 2011, 11:25 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
I already have 6 greens ..... aside if you read me other post I prefer give my money to WDC....
Nothing wrong I guess with getting WD as different people might have different confidence level for a brand. No point in buying a product from a brand you don't trust eh.