Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   WD Green Caviar as OS drive (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/42448-wd-green-caviar-os-drive.html)

botat29 April 12, 2011 05:17 AM

WD Green Caviar as OS drive

is there a problem to use a Green as OS drive on WHS server ?

dma0991 April 12, 2011 05:43 AM

I would say yes and no. No because it is a HDD as well as other comparable HDDs. Yes because it is not meant to be a primary OS drive as it is aimed to save power and to save power it will come at a reduced performance. Just get a regular 1TB drive or less instead like the WD Caviar Blue/Black or the Samsung Spinpoint F3/F4.

Rison April 12, 2011 05:54 AM

Typically I buy the WD greens for storage space - as in 1.5-2+ TB. It would be a waste as an operating system drive, cause I wouldn't use all the extra space on it. And you shouldn't store data on your OS drive, in case of failure. (easier to ghost / restore just the OS)
I just buy cheap 500 gig WD blues ($40) for my home servers, and ghost them every so often. no need for RAID 1 at home with ghost + incremental backups on the data drives.

botat29 April 12, 2011 06:05 AM

Oups I change my first post, I means it's for a Windows Home Server that will be used only to store files , and files not use often. I have another WHS for media stuf , even if I use a small OS drive , the WHS will put some data on the OS drive anyway so.... I don'T really need back-up since those files will be duplicate in the WHS and I have them also another place.

Rison April 12, 2011 06:35 AM

Yeah, by default WHS will make a 20 gig partition for the OS, then use the rest of the drive for data. I guess you can change this somehow, people have said it can be done before.. I never really looked into it personally though.

Using a WD green for an OS drive in WHS is perfectly fine. It's just a little slower, but who cares.. it's not slow enough to matter anyways.
The only problem I can think of, is if the newer 64M drives need a special alignment tool for the 4k sectors to create the partitions.. i'm not certain if WHS / server 2003 would have a problem with this or not.

AkG April 12, 2011 06:57 AM

The big issue with it is the 8 second head parking issue. IF you don't change that with WDIDLE3 to off (or something more resonable than 8 seconds)....you will kill the hdd well before the warranty is up. I've seen them go tits up in under 6mths when used as an OS drive.

botat29 April 12, 2011 07:44 AM

Thanks AKG, I know they was something wrong using it, but I can't find it and Rison point a second problem with the sectors, anyway this is just for play with it, as I have another WHS and soon one with the WHS 2011, I just wait for antivirus, for now only the Norton work and you need to purchase 5 licences, I use Avast WHS on my first WHS and I like it, I will wait Avast update to 2011 .....

dma0991 April 12, 2011 07:49 AM

You could also try getting a Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2TB instead. I have been using them for 4 months now and it has been trouble free so far.

botat29 April 12, 2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dma0991 (Post 505330)
You could also try getting a Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2TB instead. I have been using them for 4 months now and it has been trouble free so far.

I already have 6 greens .....:thumb: aside if you read me other post I prefer give my money to WDC....

dma0991 April 12, 2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by botat29 (Post 505359)
I already have 6 greens .....:thumb: aside if you read me other post I prefer give my money to WDC....

Nothing wrong I guess with getting WD as different people might have different confidence level for a brand. No point in buying a product from a brand you don't trust eh. :biggrin: