Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11, 2011, 11:40 PM
Banned
F@H

Default mechanical vs ssd : the test of time!

say you were to buy old stock, one of each, a mechanical hard drive and an ssd.to make it easier, say we're in the year 2020,or 2030,whatever,some time in the near future.

now, when you plug your drive in,say it was made 5 years ago but you just opened it up,wouldyou notice
any difference(performance etc) vs you plugging it in 5 years prior,i.e. right after it was manufactured..?
if 5 is not enough, how about 10 years? not enough? how about 20?

i figure ssd's shouldn't degrade much that fast, but the mechanical drives probably would...what say you? yes,you!
Old April 12, 2011, 10:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Logically thinking I doubt that any drive would degrade if it was just sitting in a sealed non magnetic dry bag and not banged around
Old April 12, 2011, 10:09 AM
Allstar

Mecanical HD have magnetic coating on the plater that will degrade with time and I always ear the bearing degrade with time even not in use. The motor, well I don't study the one use on HD, but very old electric motor do not work because they lost their magnet
Old April 12, 2011, 10:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
say you were to buy old stock, one of each, a mechanical hard drive and an ssd.to make it easier, say we're in the year 2020,or 2030,whatever,some time in the near future.

now, when you plug your drive in,say it was made 5 years ago but you just opened it up,wouldyou notice
any difference(performance etc) vs you plugging it in 5 years prior,i.e. right after it was manufactured..?
if 5 is not enough, how about 10 years? not enough? how about 20?

i figure ssd's shouldn't degrade much that fast, but the mechanical drives probably would...what say you? yes,you!
How could something "mechanical" degrade if it was never used?

Only reason anything degrades generally is if becomes used
Old April 12, 2011, 10:34 AM
Banned
F@H

was waiting for ak's input as well.

i found a stash i forgot about of old drives,like really old.

so i took out two and decided to drop them in some old machines...well one's doa(crr...fss..and such noises)
the other is slower than the old used drive lol.
Old April 12, 2011, 12:23 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

HDDs will indeed degrade with time, whether or not they are used. The older ones (pre-FDB based ones) were notorious for ceasing up while on parts bin shelves (as in it was the backup for your online server and when a drive in your RAID went tits up...your "known good" replacement also failed on stratup). The newer ones are just more resilient but anything which is A) delicate b) requires PRECISION to work and C) relies on mechanical parts can and will degrade when talking about a decade+ of inactivity. IMHO the real killer is the fact that no one keeps them in hermetically sealed environments and over time the expansion & contraction + humidity...kill ems dead. THe motors cease, the heads get wonky, the magnetic layers of the platter degrade, etc etc.

IF we were talking like 3 or even 5 years on a shelf...then meh, I doubt many would die, but 10,20 or more years...many (probably most) would be toast. Now if ANY were to surive...then they would just be "slow" by modern stds..but I wouldnt be surprised if they too "wear out" faster than expected.

SSDs...no one knows. They havent been around long enough for a warehouse to "lose" and then find a crap ton of them from 10/20 years ago! :)

if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer. - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 12, 2011, 12:59 PM
Banned
F@H

cool, thanks for the input man.

as far as ssd's, i figured if a stick of ram can go about 10-20 years without going bad, same should apply too right?

found some 512 pc 100's and 133's and proceeded to upgrade some poor souls old beaters without any issues :)