Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11, 2011, 05:51 AM
Rookie

Ya, the waiting game is hard to guess. Prices do always go lower but sometimes it can take more than a month or two for any kind of worthwhile % drops. Especially in the SSD market at this stage. Eventually it will speed up but maybe not for a couple more years.

If you are correct that at 80GB+ any SSD of the same generation (same controller and other factors) will have the same performance since the parallelism is high enough, then maybe the 80GB at $160 is worth while since it doesn't appear to be the 25nm variety.

Then again it might be, but OCZ didn't apply the new naming scheme of 'E' before the "80G" like they do for the "E120G". If that's the case then I would qualify for OCZ to replace it with something that doesn't use 64Gb ICs.

One thing that sucks is that I found a thread at redflagdeals.com about the OCZ Vertex 2 80GB going on sale for $119 back in Feb. At directcanada.com so it was CAD price too. Makes me think that SSD prices went up recently.

I don't need this upgrade, I just want a treat with part of my income tax return :P
Old April 11, 2011, 06:27 AM
Rookie

Just remember the new Vertex 2's are... 30%(don't quote me i do not remember exact numbers) slower because of the smaller NM chips.

You can buy the 16 chip solution drives which solved the problem, i'm sure if no one noticed it OCZ wouldn't have done anything though... sigh so typical.

You could get a Crucial C300, they are as fast as every other drive out there. I got 2 sitting on my desk, can't use them yet due to 2 RMA parts... however i am sure they will be great.

Overall though it doesn't matter what you buy if you buy a performance drive. You can wait for Vertex 3 but it will be expensive and the other drives won't drop in price that much. Just pick the fastest and best you can today. The actually noticable difference between any of the drives will be negligable to you.

Here's a review i used, although i liked how the C300 performed so i bought that.

[M] SSD Roundup Fall 2010
Old April 11, 2011, 07:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skychan View Post
Ya, the waiting game is hard to guess. Prices do always go lower but sometimes it can take more than a month or two for any kind of worthwhile % drops. Especially in the SSD market at this stage. Eventually it will speed up but maybe not for a couple more years.

If you are correct that at 80GB+ any SSD of the same generation (same controller and other factors) will have the same performance since the parallelism is high enough, then maybe the 80GB at $160 is worth while since it doesn't appear to be the 25nm variety.

Then again it might be, but OCZ didn't apply the new naming scheme of 'E' before the "80G" like they do for the "E120G". If that's the case then I would qualify for OCZ to replace it with something that doesn't use 64Gb ICs.

One thing that sucks is that I found a thread at redflagdeals.com about the OCZ Vertex 2 80GB going on sale for $119 back in Feb. At directcanada.com so it was CAD price too. Makes me think that SSD prices went up recently.

I don't need this upgrade, I just want a treat with part of my income tax return :P
No, I meant that 80GB is still slower... you have to have greater than 80GB, not greater than or equal to 80.

Tags
ocz , sandforce , ssd , vertex