Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 9, 2011, 10:40 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Best choice: 120gb Intel Gen3 or Vertex 3?

I've been very wary about SSD tech as it has always seemed a bit too pricey per gb for "faster boot times"
I don't know squat about SSD's and I've been waiting AKG to do some reviews of the new releases but they are probably still in the pipeline.

Would you go for the Intel or the OCZ model?
The Intel can be found for $215 and the OCZ for around $255 but seems to be very hard to find stock.
I'm planning to upgrade to a 2600K so I'll have SATA 6 (if these drives can actually take advantage of SATA 6)
Old April 9, 2011, 11:10 AM

My System Specs

What 'Gen3' are you referring to? The Intel 510 is their performance model while the 320 is their mainstream drives. I can't suggest the 320 really. It doesn't perform all that much better (if any) than the previous generation X25-M, offers no price decrease, and in whole is likely less reliable.

As for the 510 versus the Vertex 3. The Vertex 3 likely is the performance leader but it also uses 25nm NAND which is believed to be less reliable and prone to more bit errors. I likely would still get the Vertex 3 though.
Old April 9, 2011, 11:57 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks lowfat :)

I was talking about the Gen3 320 model.