Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 6, 2011, 08:28 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Making sure you get TRIM

HI Folks,

I am in the process of overhauling my rig. I bought a P8P67Pro + 2600k MB and am going to be using some SSDs. One is a Vertex 60 gig first gen but with the firmware to support TRIM and the second one is a Vertex II 120 gig. What is the best way to insure that my SSDs get TRIM support. AFAIK, you got to have AHCI mode enable in order to benefit from the TRIM function. Is it possible to get AHCI enable in the BIOS before installing Win 7 in order for get the installation to properly install the right drivers ? Should I use the drivers supply with the MB ?

Thanks in advance !

Old April 6, 2011, 09:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, AHCI must be enabled, and it's much easier to do it before you install windows than after. Also, only have your designated boot drive connected during install.
Old April 6, 2011, 09:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If I remember from a prvios post. ASUS Bios will detect the SSD drive and autommaticly select AHCI fore drive set up on INstall.

But it is best to check and make sure before intalling Windows.
You can get into Bios before installing windows in the staderd way. Check motherbord manual fore how to get into Bios on start up.
Old April 7, 2011, 03:43 PM
MVP

My System Specs

OK now what drivers should be used ? The one supply by MB manufacturer or I let Win 7 install its own drivers during installation ? Will Win 7 install the AHCI drivers or do I have to install them from a thumb driver during installation when you're asked if you have any 3d party drivers to install ?

Old April 8, 2011, 09:14 AM
Rookie

Try CrystalDiskInfo if you're still not sure after installing Windows. It should give you the answer
Old April 8, 2011, 09:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've heard lots of people say there is nothing wrong with the drivers that Windows wants to use by default... most people say that there isn't enough advantage of getting 3rd party (ish) drivers that they just stick with the Windows one. You won't need to install any drivers for the SSD specifically if you don't want to... In addition to setting AHCI in BIOS, also set it using the terminal in windows (google it) as that changes some registry values to enable AHCI... there are a few other things you can do, but if you do a fresh/new install of windows 7 on a SSD and then run WEI (your windows computer score) it *should* automatically tweak all the settings for your SSD.
Old April 8, 2011, 06:47 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I have just read in the user's manual that the sata ports are in AHCI by default for that particular motherboard so it's just be a pretty straight forward process from there...

Old June 11, 2011, 02:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurmer View Post
I have just read in the user's manual that the sata ports are in AHCI by default for that particular motherboard so it's just be a pretty straight forward process from there...
Really? it is not mentioned that in the manual. are you sure you have seen it? By default should be set to IDE.
Attached Images