Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 21, 2011, 04:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default HDD access issues...

I just added a new HDD to my system and after I rebooted Windows gave me a message that I needed to format one of my other HDD's before I can access it. WTF? This was a drive that I was already using and was working fine. I'm using windows vista home premium x86 and the drive is a WD15EADS. I've taken the drive out and put it in another computer and same message. Any ideas? Seems a little too much of a coincidence for a drive to go tits up at the very same time I added another drive.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old March 21, 2011, 10:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

A little more info... using various 'data recovery' programs this drive is showing up as a ~500GB RAW partition. I don't know why only ~500GB and I've never heard of a RAW partition but most of the software can see the whole directory and file structure. So I don't think the drive is physically damaged anyway. I'm just starting to attempt some recovery now.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
Old March 21, 2011, 11:28 PM
Banned
F@H

wait, what partitions are you using on your drives? i always go old school and forget about the fancy stuff one may be
presented with,never lost a partition again. its possible it got confused about drive letters or something, or the new drive is with the
new advanced format(yeah,i saw the p/n :p) but vista should be fine...hmmm
Old March 22, 2011, 06:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Nothing fancy here so far as I know. When I originally got the drive I plugged it in and made the whole 1.5TB a single NTFS partition.

I'm wondering about what the BIOS is set on IDE/AHCI/RAID? I never check that kind of stuff. Would it matter? When I added the other drive I did a bit of cable rerouting so there's a good chance that it could have gotten plugged into a different SATA port on the mobo (which is a GA-965P-DS3). Not sure if any of that is relevant.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)

Last edited by biff; March 22, 2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old March 22, 2011, 11:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

You know... the irony of all this is that I was rearranging the drives to get them in place to do a 1:1 backup.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
Old March 22, 2011, 11:46 AM
Banned
F@H

on your first computer, it could be a mobo limitation, im not sure. but the second one?

also moving sata cables around should be ok, unless its on different controllers and you raided them before or something...

ak might help ya more on this disk issue here.
Old March 22, 2011, 12:16 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Sounds like the Vista system "ate" your MBR. Could have been as simple as the MBR was "dirty" when you yanked it from the first rig (could have been a bad cable, or one of a bijillion other things) and then Vista (notorious for this kinda crap) considered it a null / bad / etc partition and has marked it as such (aka marked it as a raw hdd)....which in turn toasted your file records (ie where the files and their data map to on the physical platters).

Right click on my computer, click on manage. Click on Disk Management. Is it seen as a raw drive? Is it seen as an UNinitialized drive (usually does if seen as raw)? IF its seen as needing to be initialized... yank the hdd, stick it back in the orginal system. It MIGHT be recoverable then (is you old sys will know what it is and consider it good). If so...back up your data. Run a chkdsk on it. Most likely it will come back and tell you it had to fix some things.

IF its seen as a raw hdd on the old rig. You can try "fixmbr program" (google it there are a couple out there like MbrFix.exe). It sometimes is able to unscrew things IF its the MBR that is toast. IF that doesnt work...Time to get out your fav data recovery tool and do it manually. :(

Couple rules for swapping hdds that I (try) to follow before doing it.
1) run a chkdsk on them to make sure everything is OK
2) if its important data....back it up BEFORE moving it
3) run fixmbr and backup the mbr table and save it to a thumb drive
4) when in doubt...stick it in a usb external enclosure. sometimes this extra hardware layer is enough to keep shit from going bad.
5) never, ever use Vista. Its crap when it comes to storage. Buggy, buggy crap.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 22, 2011, 12:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff View Post
You know... the irony of all this is that I was rearranging the drives to get them in place to do a 1:1 backup.
Click on "Performance and Maintenance", "Administrative Tools", "Computer Management", "Storage", "Disk Management"

what does disk management report

did you shut down or hot swap HDD's , also if HDD last role was locale not hot plugable setting in OS

the channel/port has corrupted the MBR on HDD for the first HDD (native) was written to non native HDD leaving HDD unallocated

other is can't go from Mac to PC different FAT

Last edited by KaptCrunch; March 22, 2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old March 22, 2011, 01:17 PM
Allstar
F@H

On the topic of Vista having buggy storage problems... i've been using vista for a couple years now, never had any problems relating to storing stuff. Save for one SSD that was Dead on Arrival, it's been flawless. No transfer/read/write throttling (except maybe my SSD, which reads @ 180mb/s instead of it's listed 250ish), etc

Then again, I've never tried any of the more fancy stuff like RAID or automatic backup.
RAM : 4GB DDR2 800MHz (OCZ Platinum)
HDD : Main: 120GB SSD SATA2 (OCZ) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)
GFX : HD4850 (512MB)
PSU : 610W PC Power Silencer
MoBo: Asus P5Q SE
View : Acer H213H 21.5" @ 1920 x 1080

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft, Paintball, and Nerf players. Come join!

I am a Level/Game Designer! http://mikeseguin.webs.com/
Old March 22, 2011, 01:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Thanks,

I'll look up that info and report back. BTW I thought fixmbr was data destructive, as in it could revive an other wise dead HDD but chances on loosing all data and rendering it non-recoverable was pretty much guaranteed. Am I wrong?
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)