Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 18, 2011, 11:47 PM
MVP

Default best software to erase a HDD?

Can someone recommend a good program that will erase a SATA HDD through USB? Oh and it has to be compatible with Windows 7 x64 I have to RMA a WD HDD and I'd like to wipe everything off properly.

"The peppers fired a warning shot. Some were so loud and echoing that I was later told a few folks in
other aisles had ducked, fearing that someone was robbing the store and firing off a shotgun."
Old March 18, 2011, 11:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

right click -> format, don't click quick format

or you might have to go into diskmgmt if you can't read the hdd, considering you have to RMA it. you should be able to format there if the filesystem if borked but the HDD is decently good.

If you have to RMA it, how are you expecting a windows program to access the drive?
Old March 19, 2011, 12:18 AM
Banned
F@H

hdtune. this way you dont lose functionality of a rig(dos mode wiping)

edit : you must delete partitions first, then let it rip on the first option, just in case it decides to die on you in the next hour or so.
if all good, then hit it with mr gutman,then dod,then gutman again

after all that? theyll need some million dollar machines lol to get ya stuff off,if.
Old March 19, 2011, 01:07 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Eraser 6.0.8 will allow you to wipe the free space so no one can recover what you delete/format. Eraser :: Downloads
Old March 19, 2011, 01:25 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I used DBAN last time. Worked like a charm but takes a while depending on number of passes and only works by inserting disc after POST and a menu will pop out

Darik's Boot And Nuke | Hard Drive Disk Wipe and Data Clearing
Old March 19, 2011, 09:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There's another thread about this here: Reminder: Properly Wipe Storage Devices Before Selling

DBAN (posted by dma0991 above) is good if there's already bad sectors on the drive as it will give you the option to ignore them and continue wiping. I use copywipew from here, because it allows me to wipe HDDs including the boot sector while still using my computer (the windows version just runs in a little box that you can minimize, rather than booting into something else): Hard Drive Copy and Secure Wipe Software - CopyWipe

If you have a broken HDD, then DBAN and copywipew would probably work best, since they don't stop if they find bad sectors.
Old March 19, 2011, 12:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I believe WD will wipe the drive anyhow themselves too. And I kind of doubt they'd care what you have on the drive, if they even look. I think they have much better things to do then look at all the contents of your drive. Unlike the Geeksquad people who have nothing better to do

But yeah, doing a "full" format using Windows should be good enough. It'll make it a timely process to recover anything. Otherwise use some of the other tools suggested which 0 out the drive then write random data then 0 it out again.
Old March 19, 2011, 02:46 PM
MVP

My System Specs

a magnet and a hammer
Old March 19, 2011, 11:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkultra View Post
a magnet and a hammer
Damn I came in that thread only to say the exact same thing! Since I have been nonja'ed by a couple hour, let's add something usefull.

I used this one for years ( previous version ) and it's a charm, also work very well.
Hard disk drive wipe software providing complete disk cleanup, erasing the whole partition or HDD files

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||