Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 10, 2011, 12:32 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default SDD+HDD combo

If I do that, will the programs on the HDD be as "slow" as they were and on the SSD will be fast, right? So if I buy 100-120 GB I can fit my games and stuff I use much on them and pwn?
Cuz the vertex 3 ssd's are 100(the pro version) and 120 GB, pbb buying pro for 100euro then
Old March 10, 2011, 01:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFighter View Post
If I do that, will the programs on the HDD be as "slow" as they were and on the SSD will be fast, right? So if I buy 100-120 GB I can fit my games and stuff I use much on them and pwn?
Cuz the vertex 3 ssd's are 100(the pro version) and 120 GB, pbb buying pro for 100euro then
A ssd will only give you faster load times, it wont make you pwn at a game.
Use the ssd for your OS drive (faster booting times) and the few programs and apps that take longer to load, IE Photoshop for one, stick the rest of your programs and data on the hdd. While ssd's are a dramatic improvement over a hdd they are not the holy grail of computing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old March 10, 2011, 02:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

While it is true they are not the holy grail, they can make the gaming experience better. I know it is much nicer to have quick load times on games. I have really noticed this on some games, such as the witcher. So while it will not make you get better fps you can have a better experience overall.

Old March 10, 2011, 02:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
While it is true they are not the holy grail, they can make the gaming experience better. I know it is much nicer to have quick load times on games. I have really noticed this on some games, such as the witcher. So while it will not make you get better fps you can have a better experience overall.
TBH I never really noticed a difference with the games I play at least not a noticeable difference anyways, not saying there isnt a faster load just it is negligible to me. I do notice it on PS as I stated I used to hate waiting for PS to load now it is tolerable.
For me game wise a faster package from my isp would be a "better" upgrade than moving my games to my ssd.
YMMV as always

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old March 10, 2011, 03:45 PM
Banned
F@H

some levels can load faster, so if its 5 secs meh, but if its 30 secs or longer? that you will like
Old March 10, 2011, 04:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yea, I don't notice it with that many but I notice the difference of about say 3-5 seconds with Mass Effect 2 and then with the witcher I would guess it shaves an average of 15-20 seconds off of the main loading screens between areas. Of course since I don't notice it on all games I tend to put games the I don't notice the difference on onto a different drive.