Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   Formatting a HDD (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/41375-formatting-hdd.html)

Myst88 March 6, 2011 07:54 PM

Formatting a HDD

Alright so I decided to go ahead and put to use a 250 gb western digital HDD sitting in an old computer that wasn't being used. When I went into the disk management program to wipe the drive and format it I realized there was an OEM partition on the drive. This drive came from an older dell PC my sister used to use and so I'm guessing that partition had an image of the OS when it left the factory for recovery purposes. I followed this guide How to delete OEM Partition | Jared Heinrichs in order to delete thinking I'd be able to access the extra otherwise unusable space but now as far as I can tell it's gone for good.

There's two comments further down stating: "Unfortunately no it does not automatically add the now free space to the primary partition. You would need to use a partitioning program like Partition Magic. I’ve never tried this program but have heard great reviews on it. Partition Logic | Home If you use it let me know. It’s a free alternative"

and

"just wanted to add that after you do the diskpart…you go back into disk management and right click on the main partition (you will see unallcoated partion you just overrided) and select extend volume…. it will then walk you through it to reclaim that space into 1 partition…"

But neither of these options have worked for me! Here's an image of what the drive looks like in disk management, it's disk 1. If you look closely you can see that there's a bit of "missing" space at the end of the horizontal bar. ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

If anyone has any experience with this the help would be greatly appreciated. If not, oh well, it's 18 gigs I wasn't going to be able to use anyways!

Mr. Gruntsworthy March 6, 2011 08:02 PM

Delete all partitions on the drive, and then create a new partition, allocating as much space on the drive as you wish. Bam, done.

Addictedtokaos March 6, 2011 08:06 PM

It looks like you did everything correctly. If there was any unallocated (unpartitioned) space on the drive you would see it in grey and it would say unallocated.

Even though the drive is labelled as 250GB you will never see that total in Windows, blame Microsoft! ;)

If you check in BIOS you'll see the full capacity.

Supposedly the reason is that HDD manufacturers use 10^3 (1,000) to define 1 kilobyte - Windows use 2^10 (1,024), hence the "missing" GBs!

jheinrichs79 March 6, 2011 08:59 PM

Looks like you did it propperly.

I'm Jared from jaredheinrichs.com
Because of the way hard drive are made you always get let then what it is advertised.
For example:
I have a 1TB drive. In My computer it says: 931MB. This is the equivilant of saying I have:
1,000,202,039,296 "bytes". When Drive manufactures claim it is 1GB this what they are talking about.

When you removed the OEM partition that was originally on the drive you freed up that space so that you could have one continuous partition. If you hadn't removed the OEM drive you'd have lost 2 or 3 GBs for the recovery partition.

Anyways.
Message me if you need any help.

Myst88 March 7, 2011 06:20 AM

Ah well great news then! Thanks for the quick replies, I was trying to no avail to somehow find those "missing" gigs - now I know why. Btw Jared that was a great guide on your website, concise and easy to follow. Thanks again guys.

LetitiaL March 25, 2011 01:45 AM

Re: Formatting a HDD

Try Partition Magic software for same.