Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 5, 2011, 02:51 PM
MVP

Default Best Data Recovery Software?

I'm getting a lot of bad sectors on my WD hard drive. I've managed to safely move some of my files to a new HD, but certain files are sitting on bad sectors and when I try to move or copy them over, the HD locks up. Can someone recommend a reliable data recovery software that "might" be able to help transfer the files that are on bad sectors?

I know that Spinrite by Steve Gibson is a very good program, but was wonder if there might be some other programs that will do the trick too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"The peppers fired a warning shot. Some were so loud and echoing that I was later told a few folks in
other aisles had ducked, fearing that someone was robbing the store and firing off a shotgun."
Old March 5, 2011, 03:07 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I use "Recover My Files" with a high success rate, but its not free. Used it for formatted and corrupted USBs, deleted files, etc.

Not sure how good it would be for data on a bad sector though.
Fold for team #54196
Old March 5, 2011, 03:26 PM
MVP
F@H

HDDRegenerator has always helped me in situations where "magnetic errors" are causing bad sectors. You might want to give it a try.

PSXeven. Batards of the World Unite!
The gap between happiness and utter misery is only but a few inches
Old March 6, 2011, 12:53 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

at work and home, i've always used TestDisk
TestDisk - CGSecurity

Runs under pretty much any OS and is very good at bringing back long formatted data.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old March 6, 2011, 03:14 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Just be careful to not try the same files that lock up too many time before getting everything you can. If the drive has physical damage to the platters then the more you try the more you increase the chance of creating more damage.

Once you are sure you have everything you need (minus the problem files) then try the suggested utilities.

Good Luck!
Old March 25, 2011, 01:45 AM
Rookie

Default Re: Best Data Recovery Software?

There are so many data recovery services you can found through browsing the net but Kernel Data recovery services are the BEST, the software Kernel for FAT and NTFS is the best data recovery software in it's category and it preview you your data after scanning your hdd drive and give you the platform to select the selective files which you want to recover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_pulse View Post
I'm getting a lot of bad sectors on my WD hard drive. I've managed to safely move some of my files to a new HD, but certain files are sitting on bad sectors and when I try to move or copy them over, the HD locks up. Can someone recommend a reliable data recovery software that "might" be able to help transfer the files that are on bad sectors?

I know that Spinrite by Steve Gibson is a very good program, but was wonder if there might be some other programs that will do the trick too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.