Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 5, 2011, 01:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You might be able to find a used 24-port one for cheap. Usually server-grade stuff is re-sold for fairly reasonable prices.

The only word of advice I have though, if you mix onboard and SATA/SAS controllers, you might be unable to use the RAID functionality of the controllers. Sounds like you want to run pure software RAID anyways, so I guess it shouldn't be an issue.
Old March 7, 2011, 11:59 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I'm getting alot of mixed reviews here, people at the raidz forum are saying I need 16GB of ram and possibly a quad core cpu cause I guess it's very PC intensive. Hell they even suggested a 1000watt psu for 20 hard drives :(
Question about ZFS/Raidz - The FreeBSD Forums

Then the people at unraid say that this is extreme overkill,
Need help to find out if unraid is right for me

I don't know what to pick, if unraid fails me I'll know what drive it is pretty easily from what I hear, but it takes ALONG time (days) to rebuild the new drive and if another one fails in that time I'm screwed, I'm going to ask if I can use two parity drives to be safer on this.

I'm really confused on what to do...I wouldn't mind start ordering parts that I feel will be EOL in a few weeks/months but stuff like the case and hard drives can wait till the end cause I know the 1200 will be around for atleast a year still and 2TB drives will be here for years. What are your guys thoughts on this now :-/? Unraid has such a nice looking interface as well It's so hard to choose.

Also if I can't get that sata card I could just get three of these,
NCIX.com - Buy Syba SY-PEX40008 4 Channel SATA II Controller Card PCI-E 1X - Syba - SY-PEX40008 - in Canada
and one of these,
NCIX.com - Buy Syba SD-SATA2-2E2I 4 Channel SATA II Controller Card with Optional RAID 0/1/5/10/JBOD Function PCI - Syba - SD-SATA2-2E2I - in Canada

Since my mobo has 1 pci-x1 slot, 1 pci-x16, 1 pci-x4 and one pci slot.
Old March 8, 2011, 09:10 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Personally, I'd never use Silicon Image-based cards in anything you want to be reliable. I've been through a few of those Syba cards (which use Silicon Image chipsets) and they've all been garbage.

As for power supply, possibly why it was suggested to use 1KW is because when you turn this on, and 20 motors attempt to spin-up, that's a huge draw. Typically in most of these "SAN" setups, the drives will initialize in series rather than parallel to prevent the sudden surge in power.

I'm still not sure why you're building a 20 drive setup from the get-go though. Unless you honestly need all that space right now, I'd build it in moderation.
Old March 8, 2011, 01:43 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Personally, I'd never use Silicon Image-based cards in anything you want to be reliable. I've been through a few of those Syba cards (which use Silicon Image chipsets) and they've all been garbage.

As for power supply, possibly why it was suggested to use 1KW is because when you turn this on, and 20 motors attempt to spin-up, that's a huge draw. Typically in most of these "SAN" setups, the drives will initialize in series rather than parallel to prevent the sudden surge in power.

I'm still not sure why you're building a 20 drive setup from the get-go though. Unless you honestly need all that space right now, I'd build it in moderation.
I've got about 15-20TB of data currently, and all thats holding me back is my laziness to go get my other external drives off the coffee table in the living room, if I had those I bet I would have them filled up as well.
Old March 8, 2011, 06:56 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Nobody shoot me for saying thi.s I have a 16 TB file server for home use and I run Windows home server. Had a drive fail twice...removed it...put in the new one, and never missed a beat. Again...hold your fire...the damned thing works.
Old March 8, 2011, 09:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No one will shoot you for that.
Old March 15, 2011, 01:02 PM
Rookie

Just some thoughts:

Generally you do not want to create a 20 drive RAID-Z2 system. Generally recommended configuration is 6-8 drives per Z2 pool then striping the pools.

What kind of performance do you want to see and what kind of file access are you looking at? If this is a media server, the 5K3000's are a better bet for the lower noise/ heat/ power consumption. If you are doing lots of small file transfers, then 7,200rpm disks may make sense, or, depending on how much data makes up the small transfers (e.g. is it 5GB of files or 80GB of files) you could look at a L2ARC SSD. They only fill at about 5-6MB/s so they take awhile to get a good performance bump, but it is noticeable.

Hope that helped.