Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 28, 2011, 04:48 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Thinking of buying a 60GB SSD

Hi,

So, I have been contemplating buying a ssd for a while now, but was never really serious about it.
Well, now I am. Looking at reviews and price listings, I am rather confused about some of the products and can't seem to make up my mind.

Anyway, the ssd will be used as OS drive (windows 7 64bit), my current motherboard has only sata 2, but this will change depending on bulldozer's performance ;-) .

Looking at NCIX, I found those:
1. G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 60GB
2. Corsair Force Series 60GB
3. OCZ Vertex 2 Extended Sandforce 60GB
4. Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB

All have sandforce controllers.
The OCZ is the cheapest at the moment, but then there is the 25nm fiasco, plus it's the extended version that performs a bit lower than the original Vertex 2.
The Crucial has a sata 3 interface, but how reliable and supported is it, compared to the others?

Anybody have any experience with those drives, or can point to to a review round up of 60GB ssd's?
My budget is CAD 140 before tax.

Thanks is advance!

Old February 28, 2011, 05:08 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Um the first THREE have SF controllers the last is a Marvel controller. ;)

The Phoneix Pro has a cheaper flimsier case and uses plastic PUSHPINS to keep the pcb attached to the case.
The OCZ...well you already know the problems associated with them (and its more to do with REDUCED lifespan than just storage size reduction and performance reductions)
Force...good drive. Of those for SF1200s...it would be my "safe choice"...though Mushy Callisto Deluxe is currently my personal pick of SF1200s. :)
C300 very good drive.

IF this SSD is going on your 790 AMD mobo...get the C300. It has MUCH better "itgc" than the SF line (and im not going to get into yes the SF doesnt really do itgc/trim etc etc...they are just different...but different in a bad way for some) and you shouldnt count on getting TRIM support.

With all that being said...IF you can stretch your budget by 30 bucks the egg has the Corsair Performance 3 64GB SSD. Its a "C400" and thus is the replacement to the C300 (kinda sorta). It has better performance and as long as you dont mind being a guinea pig on the firmware end of things, it will rock any of those 4 SSDs you have listed. Easiest way to think about it is, it is like comparing a gen 2.5 SSD to a Gen 3 ssd. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; February 28, 2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old February 28, 2011, 09:05 PM
MVP

My System Specs

First of all, thank you for the helpful reply! You are just the guy I was hoping that would respond, seeing that you do the storage reviews on HWC ;-)

So, basically, the C300 looks most promising for my silly mobo, considering the unmovable budget limit.
The mushkin, available at newegg, I was previously thinking about as well, but since ncix doesn't have them (yet), there would be additional shipping costs. (I like to pick up in store, because I am a cheap bastard )

Now, seeing a few threads in various forums, there is talk about new generation ssd's coming out from several manufacturers in march, so maybe I should wait a bit longer and see.

Hm, so either the C300 or the corsair force (which I could pick up tomorrow) or wait a month.
I think I am going to finish my bottle of absinth and then make a decision.
Sounds reasonable, no?
Old March 1, 2011, 06:09 AM
Rookie

Don't forget to pricematch.

Corsair - Corsair Force Series 60GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive... - CSSDF60GB2BRKT

Although the price difference is only $4 since it's on sale, money saved is money earned :)

I always buy from NCIX but pricematch elsewhere as ncix is rarely the cheapest unless it's on sale or not carried anywhere else in canada.
Old March 1, 2011, 09:58 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Thank!
Will do that!