Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 27, 2011, 09:48 AM
Allstar

Default Looking to buy a USB 3 enclosure today and could use some advice

Just wondering what the best options are right now for a 3.5" enclosure. I remember someone posting on this forum that Vantec has implemented a good chipset on their enclosures. Not sure if it makes a difference what model to look out for. Chances are I'll be purchasing from Canada Computers but may go to NCIX in Scarborough (although it's a small store and I doubt they will have much). I'd like something other than a Vantec but I realize I may not have too many choices.

Thanks

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old February 27, 2011, 01:20 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

When it comes to USB 3.0 enclosures the ONLY thing that really matters is the chipset in them.
You want to buy one that has the ASMedia chipset and NOT the JMicron one.
IF you go into the store ask them to open one up...the chip is a small chip usually near the SATA port (bring along a 2.5" hdd and give them a song and dance on how you "want to be sur" it works on both 2.5 and 3.5 drives"....and act the n00b). Sneak a peak at the chipset....if it ASM you are good to go...if not say "no this one isnt perfect". etc etc ;)

After you have the chipset the only other things you may want to worry about is passive design vs active design. IE is passive do they use metal enclosure with good heatsink abilities to remove the heat of the hdd. If its active...what size fan and how LOUD is it. Then only then look at the ascetics of its design.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 27, 2011, 02:51 PM
Allstar

Thanks, I'll ask them to open up the vantec one and see what's in it. Hopefully it won't take too many tries haha.

Edit: I found your previous post concerning the Vantec NST-380S3 having the ASMedia chipset so I ended up buying that. Unfortunately Canada Computers didn't have a PCI-e card but I can wait for a while. Thanks again.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N

Last edited by Nodscene; February 27, 2011 at 03:21 PM.