Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 25, 2011, 09:44 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Royalties are "built into" the cost of the initial controller order. I have confirmed this with a number of peripheral manufacturers. Plus, Anand is talking about PER PORT licensing royalties.

Note: We do a ton of background research before making claims based on what's said at press conferences.
Old February 25, 2011, 01:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Looks promising in theory, let's see what happen in practice.
Old February 25, 2011, 06:07 PM
Top Prospect

Excellent and timely article. I read a press release earlier this week stating that Apple was going with Thunderbolt for their new MacBooks. This article was well written and informative, and answered all my questions about the technology.
Old February 25, 2011, 09:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Considering the mess of cables behind my machine I certainly could appreciate a single cable daisy chained to multiple devices. The only thing that worries me is how slow is the adoption of this going to be. Lets face it display port have been around for a while now and still there are relatively few monitors with that option.

Not be to negative, but for some reason I just see this tech not really going places. It might not disappear all together but I get the feeling it will just sit on the side lines getting only marginal adoption. That's not saying the idea is bad, quite the opposite I think it is really good, but the cost is what I see holding it back. Unless it can compete with things like USB 3 in price, it just won't take off, now matter how much better it is.

Old February 26, 2011, 06:45 PM

My System Specs

Engadget did a little preview, which can be seen here. I can't wait till I get get Thunderbolt on all of my computers.

Intel Thunderbolt: a closer look (updated with video) -- Engadget
Old February 26, 2011, 07:09 PM
Banned
F@H

pritty cool demo right there....couple years till we see it on our tables
with our pockets not upside down? :)
Old February 26, 2011, 08:27 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Engadget did a little preview, which can be seen here. I can't wait till I get get Thunderbolt on all of my computers.

I say again, meh. There's way too much hype about this. The daisy chain aside, he's not doing anything he couldn't have done with existing technology, yet he's making it sound like the most incredible thing he's ever seen; completely ignoring the existence of USB 3 and esata. But that's the tech media. And how many people have an external 6+Gbps RAID array sitting beside their notebook to edit videos with?

To me, the cool parts of Thunderbolt are the protocol and optical cable, not the display port cable or the ability to daisy chain. It really needs the optical cables to show it's true potential.

For me to get excited about new technology, it has to improve efficiency, productivity or enable a new paradigm. Light Peak as hyped could do that, but Thunderbolt as implemented today is meh.

Unless you're into video editing with high end storage, in which case you should be salivating.

Last edited by Desiato; February 26, 2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old February 27, 2011, 06:39 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post

+1 I just ordered a new MBP with Thunderbolt. I too can't wait to for my entire network to be running Thunderbolt
Old February 27, 2011, 06:51 AM
Rookie

Default Confused on the display part of T-bolt

Watched the Engadget video demo and am impressed but have a question on multiple displays with Thunderbolt.

With the new MacBook Pro you have the laptop display and the Tbolt mini display port adapter. Can I have more than one external displays assuming one of the displays has a pass through? I think I require another gpu to drive a third video signal or am I missing something.
Old February 27, 2011, 09:08 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott66 View Post
Watched the Engadget video demo and am impressed but have a question on multiple displays with Thunderbolt.

With the new MacBook Pro you have the laptop display and the Tbolt mini display port adapter. Can I have more than one external displays assuming one of the displays has a pass through? I think I require another gpu to drive a third video signal or am I missing something.
In order for a display to be able to pass through it would need to use Thunderbolt, which they don't. They are just standard DisplayPort connections on the display. Thunderbolt is just able to passthrough the DisplayPort data. As far as I know anyways.