Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 25, 2011, 05:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Yea, they are zero. Or at the very least far far more reliable than spindles. Why don't you trust them, do they wink at your wife or something?
I've just heard quite a few people say that they've had failures, is all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
and yet, the original vertex drives have had a FLURRY of failures lately... hmmmm... I wouldn't call that zero ;)
I keep hearing about controller failure before the medium runs out.
Old February 25, 2011, 06:31 PM
MVP

My System Specs

never believed the hype of ssd's....until i bought one....and i bout a very early edition kindgton ssdnow...so the performance isnt even that spectacular...but none the less, they are amazing...
Old February 25, 2011, 08:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

controller or medium, either way, the thing is dead. 18 months seems to be the "sweet" spot.

I love my SSD, but I think I'll stick to mecha for long term reliability.
Old February 26, 2011, 12:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

Okay, so it's definitely an SSD then. What's the best 120GB SSD you guys'd recommend? I'll probably be buying off ncix.
RAM : 4GB DDR2 800MHz (OCZ Platinum)
HDD : Main: 120GB SSD SATA2 (OCZ) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)
GFX : HD4850 (512MB)
PSU : 610W PC Power Silencer
MoBo: Asus P5Q SE
View : Acer H213H 21.5" @ 1920 x 1080

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft, Paintball, and Nerf players. Come join!

I am a Level/Game Designer! http://mikeseguin.webs.com/
Old February 26, 2011, 12:45 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

ocz vertex 2
Old February 26, 2011, 01:49 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Depends on your system (is it the one listed in your sig?) and how far your budget can stretch....IF you want 120/128 GB ssds.

Tough time to buying mate as the new / next gen is literally around the corner for some (and some is OUT). BUT given your budget

Because the replacements have already been announced the "old" SF1200s are getting cheap so the Vertex 2 (BUT if you get an -e.....dont even open it up RETURN it. I can NOT recommend any OCZ SF1200 with new 25nm NAND in it, the reduction in lifespan coupled with LOWER performance AND size is a losing proposition...regardless of the price of the drive. To say I am not happy with how OCZ is handling things is an understatement).

TBH if I was getting a SF1200 drive right now....Id get the Mushkin Callisto Deluxe over at the egg for 229. Its 40 bucks more than the OCZ...but Mushkin isnt trying to mess with their customers and I LIKE their commitment to CS they have shown (plus its also a full speed SF drive). Its actually only 20 bucks more if you remove the MIR from the equation (and I loathe MIRs).

Right at your budget of 251 is the 120 Intel. Good drive, decent to very decent performance.

Just above your budget of 250 at 270 is the C300 128. Extremely Good drive IF you have Sata 6 (especially is you have sata 6 ports that can pass on TRIM like 1155 intel's or AMD 8 series mobos, but it has VERY good "itgc" so it doesnt matter too much). Still very good if you dont have 6gb/s.

Above your budget at basically 3 bills is the Corsair Performance 3....aka the C400. IF you have Sata 6...its an insane performer on the high end (think nearly double of the Sf1200s) and still as good if not better than the SF1200s on the low end (I have heard dif reports so its at worst as good as the SF1200....to better than the Sf1200s.) I haven't played with this drive YET but its the one I am most looking forward to (next to the intel gen 3). One negative (and its a big one) is the firmware is very immature sooo expect to have to upgrade the firmware a couple times.

Any of those drives would be good choices. Pick your hard upper budget and go from there...and IF you decide you got even more than 3 bills to play with and are adventurous...let met know and Ill keep going UP my personal list of drives I use (in my own rigs and customer builds) and like :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 27, 2011, 10:50 AM
Allstar
F@H

Thanks akg, you've pointed me in the direction of some interesting drives. That intel drive looks just about what I'd go for, though I'd like something closer to the $200 range if possible (as this is coming out of my student loan... :'D )
RAM : 4GB DDR2 800MHz (OCZ Platinum)
HDD : Main: 120GB SSD SATA2 (OCZ) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)
GFX : HD4850 (512MB)
PSU : 610W PC Power Silencer
MoBo: Asus P5Q SE
View : Acer H213H 21.5" @ 1920 x 1080

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft, Paintball, and Nerf players. Come join!

I am a Level/Game Designer! http://mikeseguin.webs.com/