Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   Western Digital Scorpio Black 750GB 2.5" Hard Drive Review Comment Thread (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/40850-western-digital-scorpio-black-750gb-2-5-hard-drive-review-comment-thread.html)

SKYMTL February 16, 2011 09:09 PM

Western Digital Scorpio Black 750GB 2.5" Hard Drive Review Comment Thread

SSDs have been stealing the limelight as of late but Western Digital is well on their way to heading off this push with their latest generation of Scorpio Black 2.5" hard drives. By offering a combination of performance, extremely high capacity for small form factor drives and low power consumption, they hope to offer up a tempting line of products...

[ Read full article ]

_dangtx_ February 16, 2011 09:24 PM

holy crap thats good performance..although, size/$ aside, would you take this over the momentus xt?
i probably would not :)

draemn February 16, 2011 09:36 PM

Sweet review.

clone63 February 16, 2011 10:10 PM

I'd still probably go with the XT too, given the OS trouble. However the performance/power consumption ratio is quite awesome.

Grampa February 17, 2011 04:54 AM

Wow!

Very nice review AkG!!

Thanks so much.

Very very solid performance considering the drive is not an SSD or hybrid.

SKYMTL February 17, 2011 06:52 AM

I'd take this over the Momentus XT actually. Mostly because you get 90% of the performance without buying into first generation technology.

Stock February 17, 2011 12:25 PM

Great review..it definitely swayed my decision to not buy the XT. I was looking to upgrade the hard drive in my laptop, which just happens to run on Vista!

AkG February 17, 2011 06:02 PM

For most users it would be a toss up as the amount of files they NEED to be fast is probably only a couple GB (thus making the XT's nand an actual advantage). For enthusiasts who dont want to go SSD route...the Black. Its fast, its 50% bigger and there is no need to worry about only getting insane speed from 4GB's of your space....you get a ton of speed PERIOD full STOP.

All depends on your needs, but i don't think you couldn't go wrong with either.
If size is an issue the Black 750
If bootup speed is your number one issue...the XT (though only on a small portion of data...this Black 2.5" is faster than a lot of last gen 3.5" hdds).
If you don't want to worry about NAND...the Black 750.
IF price per GB is your main priority...the Black 750.

Figure out what is the MOST important issue to you and make your decision on that.

geokilla February 17, 2011 07:03 PM

Man the difference between the WD Blue and Black is like night and day. I wish I didn't purchase my WD Blue 640GB from Canada Computers on Boxing Day. Stupid rep told me that there are no 2.5" 7200RPM hard drives >.>

rapmaster February 17, 2011 09:12 PM

Is there any performance differences between the WD Black 500GB and the 750GB?