Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 23, 2011, 04:55 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The problem with your question about "reliability" can't really be answered. Most people will give their opinion about 1-5 drives that they've owned of a certain manufacturer.
The only people who can comment are either the manufacturers themselves, or a large company like NCIX or Canada Computers. That's IF they even track their RMA per-brand.. and there is NO WAY you're ever going to see those numbers.. most employees of the company will not see them.
You can go by online forums.. but really, you're just reading who screams the loudest - or how many fanboys protect the name of some manufacturers. (eg: don't go on NCIX forums and put down Corsair PSUs or WD hard drives, lol)

The only thing I can comment on is on your RAID setup. Having two drives striped, and mirrored to another two drives will be your "best bet" for performance & redundancy. If your drive controller dies (which is just as likely to happen as a drive failure) than you'll be restoring from your server anyways. I'd probably just grab two good 7200rpm drives and throw them into a RAID 0 striped raid. That's how I have my main workstation. Just rely on your server as the backup to that data. Then backup your server! And test your backups! lol.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old February 23, 2011, 05:21 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
usually when I ask a question like this is because I will purchase tomorrow...

thanks, but too late for replies, as I said the first day, I order them the next day I made this post.
Old February 23, 2011, 06:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
The problem with your question about "reliability" can't really be answered. Most people will give their opinion about 1-5 drives that they've owned of a certain manufacturer.

The only thing I can comment on is on your RAID setup. Having two drives striped, and mirrored to another two drives will be your "best bet" for performance & redundancy. If your drive controller dies (which is just as likely to happen as a drive failure) than you'll be restoring from your server anyways. I'd probably just grab two good 7200rpm drives and throw them into a RAID 0 striped raid. That's how I have my main workstation. Just rely on your server as the backup to that data. Then backup your server! And test your backups! lol.
Right, backups are the most important method to help ensure reliability.

But, I think you can reasonably guess on probabilities with respect to drives. I read way too many complaints about WD Greens to just assume it's a bunch of loud noise. I figure there is probably a design flaw or just that it's a poor design. It's the only 'slower drive' variety that has these unique functions but they allegedly cause a lot of trouble for people. I'd rather go with a model without the proprietary junk features to make things simpler.

The Samsung F4 drives seem most reliable for a storage drive and the new Seagate Barracuda LP drives look okay for a 2nd choice, imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
thanks, but too late for replies, as I said the first day, I order them the next day I made this post.
You bought one then? Ah, the impulse buyer...
Old February 23, 2011, 08:19 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg View Post
Right, backups are the most important method to help ensure reliability.
You bought one then? Ah, the impulse buyer...

Impulsive ? this sever was build before xmas with 2 x WD 640 bk, and it's was already 3/4 full when one of them fail, so time to update.

back-up ? why I will make a back-up ? as you read in my first post I use GoodSync to sync the hd on my WS and the Server, I should have say Workstations as I use 2 of them, so all my files are in 3 different systems, 4 different set of HD , and in 2 different locations, and some of them (pics, music, videos) are even sync on the WHS available to the rest of the family.
Old February 23, 2011, 06:56 PM
Banned

I didn't mean to make fun. :) I still say to research the Samsung F4. I would get one and I think it's ideal for your storage solution. The 3TB are still in infancy stages (does that make sense?!?) and price/gb probably aren't the best just yet. Not enough choices yet either but it all depends what you want capacity wise and whether you really think it's better with less drives/more capacity. I don't think there's that many slower 3TB drives yet to choose from - if any, though?