Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 15, 2011, 07:59 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Whats a better choice?

For massive storage? Build a file server that holds 14HD's and uses a onboard motherboard raid and a 8 port raid card (someone noted that this does work, but then I've been told the hardware raid kicks off the motherboard raid system, who's right?)

Or getting one of these,
Newegg.ca - SANS DIGITAL TowerRAID TR8M-BP 8 Bay eSATA RAID 0/1/10/5/JBOD Performance Tower w/ 6G PCIe Card (Black)

Or possibly two of the last one.

With this set up I could do raid5 in both, if the mobo and raid card will work both at the same time I could easily just use the file server or get two raid cards....what should I do? I also don't plan on building this for about three months, but might start buying parts for it already like the mobo and OS drive (will be an SSD running freeNAS) and setting up the hard drive bays/racks etc etc. Thanks for the help.
Old February 16, 2011, 12:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You're probably better off just getting the system that is already built up for you. Simple.... more or less plug and play.