Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12, 2011, 12:50 AM
Rookie

Default SSD trouble

I have a 60g Ocz Vertex for my OS,windows 7 pro, and a 500g caviar black in my i7 920 rig. The vertex is at firmware 1.1 and needs to be upgraded to 1.6. Can I copy my OS from the ssd,c:, to a separate partition in my hdd,d:, so I can continue to use the computer to do the upgrades to my ssd? When I'm finished I will do a clean install of the whole thing and put it back to the old configuration. If so ,how do I do it? I'm not an expert but I have a laptop so I can look stuff up while all this is going on.
Old February 12, 2011, 01:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ceate a image of the ssd on your hdd Backup and restore system software and PC system utilities for Windows and Linux OSs works well. Update the ssd with the firmware.
Restore the image stored on your hdd to the ssd, its that easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old February 12, 2011, 06:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

then use the pat tool Paragon Alignment Tool - Overview
Old February 12, 2011, 07:06 AM
MVP

You can use Clonezilla - About to create a backup image and restore after the firmware upgrade.
Old February 12, 2011, 07:34 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
then use the pat tool Paragon Alignment Tool - Overview
I thought Windows 7 aligns the SSD's on its own?
Old February 12, 2011, 10:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

it does but if ya use a backup it will not be done right ie 1024mb then you just use this tool on the said ssd but ya have to have another machine i think not sure if it works on os drive your running it off of
Old February 12, 2011, 10:33 AM
Rookie

Thank's for the ideas. I found a SSD health program and ran it last night and found my SSD is at 1.4 and not 1.1 so thats a bonus,despite the fact is says 1.1 in the boot screen. If I add a second hdd, can I set it up so I can run my ssd and first hdd as I am now, and have the second hdd as a clean back up containing info from both other drives, so if I get corrupted,as I am now, I can just reformat the the first 2 and copy the OS and programs from the 3rd drive? Is that a raid set up or just the backup and restore program already in W7? Wiping and reinstalling everything on the drives is a time consuming pain. I have a evga 758 a1 board.
Old February 12, 2011, 11:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Not sure why you are doing what you are doing... I'll tell you what I did to update my Agility 2:
1) Create a disk image of C:\ and save it to another drive.
2) Update my SSD firmware by following all the steps.
3) Didn't boot or work (the SSD), panicked for a few seconds...
4) Clear CMOS and waited for 10-20 minutes
5) Booted computer and everything was normal, the SSD didn't corrupt any of the data on it and everything worked like before the firmware update.
Old February 12, 2011, 06:38 PM
Rookie

I'm getting bsod's on a regular basis. Some say my telus air card is trying to load a bad program, The last was because of something not getting a timing signal in time. Other times I can't boot windows cause it can't find c: drive. My i7 920 is sometimes running at 100% cpu and is very slow. My laptop is running vista with a celeron processor and will boot faster than the pc. I have deleted all the telus and sierra programs but I got a bsod last night because of wireless watcher [telus air card ]. All kinds of good stuff going on and i'm not sure whats causing it. Some things are software and some act like hardware so I decided to wipe the whole thing,upgrade all drivers and clean all connections in the pc. I may remove my cpu cooler and make sure all is good there. Once I have eliminated the software issue and made sure all the cables are connected and clean, I'll see if it still has issues. I did get lucky and a friend gave me an old dell laptop he was going to throw out just before all this crap started so at least I can get to sites for help. Right now it's running better that my prized pc.
Old February 12, 2011, 07:54 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Sounds like you need a clean install of Windows more than a firmware update. Might as well do both?