Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 8, 2011, 10:02 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Lowest power consumption SSD

Hi,

I've been looking at SSDs to put in my laptop for quite some time now and still unsure as to what I should get. I'm looking for the lowest power consumption for a 60GB to 90GB drive.

There are some websites that list the Samsung 470 as best for my needs, some were quoting the Corsair Nova drives, while others were preaching Kingston SSD Now drives that aren't in production anymore. I've seen Intel X25-V aswell, but 40GB is way too small.

Most reviews focus on performance, and I mostly skip all the numbers because I don't care. It's kinda hard to get a clear image actual power consumption.

Any advice?

Old February 8, 2011, 10:28 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

The crucial c300 64gb uses 2.4w max which is slightly lower than the 2.5w WD Blue 500gb.
Old February 8, 2011, 10:31 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Even the Nova has a maximum power draw rated at 2W. So nono for the C300.

Old February 8, 2011, 10:34 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwik View Post
Even the Nova has a maximum power draw rated at 2W. So nono for the C300.
Yes i just found that one. Honestly i doubt you would ever notice much different battery life between the 2.
Old February 8, 2011, 10:37 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I know, but when your computer uses 10-12W while browsing, even 0.5W is cutting 5%.

Old February 8, 2011, 10:40 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

i understand. Interestingly enough a WD Black 500gb 7200rpm drive only maxes at 1.8w.
Old February 8, 2011, 10:45 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Yeah, most conventionnal 2.5" HDD have pretty good power figures. I currently have a Hitachi 250GB 5400RPM drive. For now, I think the best drve for me would be a Samsung 470, which are rated under 1W while active.

Problem is next to no availability in Canada.

Old February 8, 2011, 12:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Lol kiwik on HWC :P
Intel seems to haev some model in the 1.5W range. Oretty sure that some other offer lower power need.
Newegg.ca - Intel X25-M SSDSA2MH080G2K5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Newegg.ca - OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGT80G 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

I knew I saw this somwhere...Great article here
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...m,2705-19.html
Kingston SSDNow V+100 Review - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old February 8, 2011, 01:03 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Ok guys you are forgetting one thing.

The normal power state of a SSD is much lower than the normal power state of a hdd. (HDDs active state may be similar, but its idle is much greater than a SSDs, and a HDDs active read is darn near the same as the write....high. SSDs write power consumption is higher than its read and they fall back to idle when not in use...assuming you are in a TRIM enviro and ITGC doesnt need to kick in)

Even assuming that both are active the same amount of time the SSD will use less power at it writes faster (and thus goes back to a lower state FASTER than a hdd). This is what got Anad or Toms or one of the big guys in trouble a couple years ago as they "proved" in a given amount of time under active load that the ssd reduce battery time (they had to retract it soon after...and change their methodology...as while all were actively writing...the SSD got a crap ton MORE done in the same span of time). So the OP is on the right track. SSD > HDD for battery life.

What do you plan on doing with the laptop? Are you using windows 7 (or is ITGC going to be a factor)? IF its normal state is going to be idle and read with few writes....than the "max" power draw really isnt a great way to pick a SSD as it wont really matter.

TBH, unless you are using for something is going to be mainly WRITES (in which case...plug it in and be done with it) the dif really is not going to be all that great. Maybe a couple .1's of a watt BUT I doubt it will be 1 watt in real world scenarios. Pick the tier of SSD you want (value, mid or enthusiast) and then pick the ones that are you in your price range...and then MAYBE pick the lowest max power draw. Thats how I would pick it as .3 of watt really aint going to matter. YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; February 8, 2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old February 8, 2011, 01:49 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks AkG

This is a Windows 7 laptop, general use is paperwork, research, internet browsing, light games and hd videos. I plan on putting the 250GB into the Ultrabay for storage and use the SSD as system drive in the regular bay.

I've been eyeing the Samsungs 470, but I might try to find a used X25-M G2 for cheap.

@Martin

I'm actually not impressed by the new Kingstons with the over the top GC and power usage that goes through the roof.

Last edited by kiwik; February 8, 2011 at 01:57 PM.