Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   OCZ Vertex 120GB dies (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/40583-ocz-vertex-120gb-dies.html)

artistpavel February 7, 2011 11:41 AM

OCZ Vertex 120GB dies

Purchased this in mid 2009, 18 months later it started having corrupt sectors and died. I looked at the product page and it all filled with one egg reviews and similar timing, people say even RMAed replacements still die. I payed $400, disappointed.

Newegg.ca - OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

FiXT February 7, 2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artistpavel (Post 483075)
Purchased this in mid 2009, 18 months later it started having corrupt sectors and died. I looked at the product page and it all filled with one egg reviews and similar timing, people say even RMAed replacements still die. I payed $400, disappointed.

Newegg.ca - OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Whoa :shok:
Initially I was thinking I accidentally hit "sort by lowest first", but there really was 7 "dead drive" reviews within a little over a month. Now, granted, many people only take the time to do "reviews" or give feedback when things are BAD, not to mention the Vertex series was one of the most popular, and hasn't been sold for years so there isn't going to be many new reviews and copious amounts of people with the drive, so failures are more likely to be vocalized, but still...interesting stuff.

Same story on Amazon, about 70% of the bad reviews happened in this month.
Either way, drives wear out, it is simply the nature of electronics, OCZ does have a good warranty program though, you shouldn't have much hassle getting it replaced.

_dangtx_ February 7, 2011 12:18 PM

crickey. but the timing is quite interesting, i mean drives fail all the time but to get as many
deadites in one calendar month or close?

zoob February 7, 2011 12:24 PM

That is very unfortunate! Did you lose any data, or was it still accessible? I've always been curious how SSDs behave during failure.

artistpavel February 7, 2011 12:31 PM

I used it as OS drive and had an image backed up so I didn't lose anything, currently moved OS to old trusty 320GB HDD :)

The data was partially accessible, but BSODed if you touched the bad sectors.

SKYMTL February 7, 2011 12:42 PM

*sigh*

Another one bites the dust. I have a friend who is in the same boat but with Crucial SSDs. It seems like many of the early generation drives don't last more than 18-24 months. Makes me wonder what will happen with newer drives down the road...

enaberif February 7, 2011 12:43 PM

And you wonder why a lot of people haven't jumped on the SSD bandwagon yet?

Platter > SSD

artistpavel February 7, 2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 483105)
Makes me wonder what will happen with newer drives down the road...

I think Vertex 2 has 50 000 cycles compared to 10 000 original Vertex, I wish they sent me Vertex 2 instead

chrisk February 7, 2011 01:41 PM

Original Vertex died on me too after about a year. Never found my invoice so I didn't warranty it yet.

Edit: Also investigating issue with a Vertex 2 ssd that appears and disappears in bios

LarkStarr February 7, 2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 483107)
And you wonder why a lot of people haven't jumped on the SSD bandwagon yet?

Platter > SSD

correct, with cost per GB.

otherwise SSD > Platters