Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7, 2011, 07:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well I'm just saying, I'll probably be avoiding Seagate drives for now. You have to wonder, if they are able to sell the drives at the lowest price (compared to other brands), something is being cut back somewhere.

I think a 7200.12 500GB might be on it's way out too. It has some errors in SMART but nothing major yet to trigger any alarms.
Old February 7, 2011, 07:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've heard of minor firmware issues with earlier releases of the Barracuda 7200.12's and Momentus XT's.

Mostly performance/acoustics related issues, but firmware updates usually fix them. Seagate even recommends you regularly check for firmware updates. Not sure I'd go back to one though, not with the Samsung's and Hitachi's coming at similarly low price points.

Firmware Updates for Seagate Products
Old February 7, 2011, 07:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
I've heard of minor firmware issues with earlier releases of the Barracuda 7200.12's and Momentus XT's.

Mostly performance/acoustics related issues, but firmware updates usually fix them. Seagate even recommends you regularly check for firmware updates. Not sure I'd go back to one though, not with the Samsung's and Hitachi's coming at similarly low price points.

Firmware Updates for Seagate Products
All my 7200.12s are/were running CC46...