Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 4, 2011, 07:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Freenas or Openfiler

So with the demise of DE in the new version of WHS i am looking for alternatives. I have narrowed it down to either Openfiler or freenas (both of which i have used in the past).

1. I will be using software RAID (if raid at all) as i don't have a PCIe slot on the motherboard

2. I need to be able to load lcdproc on it (CLI doesn't bother me much)

3. Needs to be reliable.

I am also considering either ZFS or LVM (there are 3 disks around 1.8 TB each)

Old February 4, 2011, 08:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

well as per my recent thread here, I'm having throughput issues with FreeNAS and ZFS in a RAID-Z config, and some googling suggests this isn't isolated to me. While not show-stopping, it's highly annoying. If you're seriously considering that route, do some research first (i.e I have no idea how ZFS acts in openfiler or others)

Thankfully I'm using a VM, I might actually pop open openfiler and create another ZFS pool there...

Otherwise though I'm intensely enjoying FreeNAS, it runs great and hasn't bombed on me yet!
Old February 9, 2011, 11:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

well i upgraded the ram and now my box is running great using ZFS. I ended up using Nexenta since it's opensolaris based. One word of note for those wanting to use ZFS cram as much ram as you can into your box it is very hungry for ram. I get around 55MB/s transfer on write and around the 55MB/s to 60MB/s on read over a single gigabit nic (i'd love to do trunking but don't have a 802.3ab complaint switch.)