Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 11, 2008, 11:13 AM
Rookie

Default USB Flash Drives: Which is the Best of the Best?

I'm looking for an 8GB USB flash drive (I'ld like a larger capacity but the price is out of my range at the moment).
Which is the best of the best in terms of speed? NCIX has the Patriot XT 8GB unit, but would I get better performance from a Buffalo Firestix, Super Talent, OCZ... ?

Thank you!
Old January 11, 2008, 11:41 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

You should look at the reviews Skymtl has done in the past. They will give you a good idea / "feel" for some of the top drives out there. Personally, the Corsair GT 8gb or the OCZ ATV Turbo are right at the top of my wish list. ;)

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...acture=CORSAIR

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...Z%20Technology

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 11, 2008, 11:46 AM
Rookie

i saw those, but then last night i saw a review for the Buffalo 'single cell' flash drive which seems to have the fastest write times out of the bunch they tested. unfortunately they didn't have the OCZ in the mix :|
Old January 11, 2008, 12:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have seen Sandisk Titanium 4GB drives for $50 on sale here and there over the holidays. Hell of a deal if you ask me and there's a good HCW member review.

"Reviewer Tryouts" Sandisk Cruzer Micro Titanium 4gb

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 11, 2008, 12:47 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
I have seen Sandisk Titanium 4GB drives for $50 on sale here and there over the holidays. Hell of a deal if you ask me and there's a good HCW member review.

"Reviewer Tryouts" Sandisk Cruzer Micro Titanium 4gb

Thanks for the tip :) However right now I'm looking for an 8GB or so drive (it's either that or trying to find a deal on a WD Passport. I need something to cart around ISOs, admin tools, etc etc)
Old January 11, 2008, 02:12 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Personally, I try to put very little stock in reviews which test flash drives in sort-term testing. The small niggles that usually pop up with extended use are not taken into account. Personally, I would rather have something that works well with my lifestyle than shaving 300 milliseconds off of my file transfers.

I would say the top of my list has the Corsair Voyager GT and ATV Turbo running neck and neck.
Old January 11, 2008, 02:13 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I would rather have something that works well with my lifestyle than shaving 300 milliseconds off of my file transfers.
What is your recommendation? The OCZ Turbo ATV (sp?) unit?

edit: ok that's good enough for me. I'll take that Patriot XT out of my cart and wait for one of those two units to come on sale.

Last edited by MrDisco; January 11, 2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old January 11, 2008, 03:03 PM
Rookie

I have the Corsair 8GB Voyager GT and LOVE it. Very rugged, very fast. Absolutely no complaints. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong wither way.
OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-800
XFX GeForece 8800GTS 512 (G92)
WD SE16 500GB SATAII / WD 250GB SATAII
LG SATA DVD-RW
Corsair HX520 Modular PSU
Antec P182 w/all fans replaced w/Noctua NF-P12-1300s
BenQ T221W 22" LCD @ 1680x1050
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Vista Ultimate 64-bit
Old January 11, 2008, 09:21 PM
MVP

I don't really feel speed is all that important.

I have a bunch of USB drives kicking around (mainly use 3 different 2 GB ones), & while there are definite speed differences when benched, in actual use, i really notice no difference.

I'd recommend looking carefully at design, as to me, that's by far the biggest factor that can be critical.

Does it fit well (on keychain, lanyard, in pocket, in hand, etc.)?
Cap or no cap?

These things are by far the most important IMO.
Old January 13, 2008, 02:52 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I've always had good experiences with OCZ products. I've got a 4GB Rally2 that's around two years old, and it's still going strong (and I use it lots carting files around at school).