Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 1, 2011, 05:47 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Home made NAS/file server

Is it possible to make a small PC for a home made NAS system and connect some of the drives via USB/eSata? I would sorta like to do this and get a couple 8 disc enclosures and possibly get a nice little case that can support 10 hard drives or such. How would I make it so ALL drives are seen on the network? Would it be possible to make the ones connected via USB and eSata viewable? (would be usb 3.0 of course :)) I sorta would like to do this and store it in my living room or something and fill it with green drives and fill a couple of 8 disc enclosures up :) So let me know if this would work or not, thanks!
Old February 1, 2011, 06:25 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

All of what you said is completely possible. Use FreeNAS as the OS, and it should allow you to transfer your files over the network use SMB and other network protocol.

Do you plan to RAID all those drives?
Old February 1, 2011, 07:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

In my server/NAS I currently have 6 drives. I have the ability to add more utilizing esata as well. For an OS I am just using Windows 7 to keep it all simple. I just have them set as shared drives and then map to them from my other machines. Add in a little Acronis for backup and everything is nice and good.

Not the greatest solution but a simple one that works.

Old February 1, 2011, 09:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would not even consider USB in any form....
Old February 1, 2011, 09:23 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexitus View Post
All of what you said is completely possible. Use FreeNAS as the OS, and it should allow you to transfer your files over the network use SMB and other network protocol.

Do you plan to RAID all those drives?
For the internal drives I was thinking of possibly doing raid5 if I could find a mobo that will do it all on one chipset, for the 8bay enclosures I was thinking of doing maybe a raid 5 or if just mirroring all the data would be safer, basically I want the safest solution and if raid5 will work on 8 drives in a enclosure then I'll probably use it, or if people would suggest raid6 for it I'll do that, whatever is the safest and best option you guys think/give me.
Old February 1, 2011, 09:30 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If you are doing a dedicated NAS box, Windows 7 is a pretty poor solution. Albeit it is simple to do, it isn't as powerful as a dedicated NAS OS like FreeNAS. Personally I like a lot of nobs I can turn and play around with since I am that type of person.

In terms of RAID, since you are potentially going 10 drives? I wouldn't touch a motherboard RAID chipset with a a stick. Get a dedicated card. It is more expensive, but you get the potential for RAID6 (Much better than RAID5) and if your motherboard does die, you will have a lot less problems moving into a new system. Oh, hardware RAID is also faster.

It is best to do it right, and since you are looking for the safest route. Definitely do some research into hardware RAID.
Old February 1, 2011, 09:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Most simplistic method would be windows home server with a boat load of HDs

Set "folder duplication" on and use it that way. You'll use a lot of HD space though...... but no worries about RAID rebuilds or losing your expensive RAID card, etc.
Old February 1, 2011, 10:00 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

But then you are effectively killing half your hard drive space by doing so (if you do duplicate everything). It isn't cost efficient, nor is it a proper backup solution either. If you did want back-up, then burn to physical media, or have an off-site location for storage.

It is true that if a hard drive dies and you need to rebuild, heck, we had a failed RAID rebuild and lost all the files off one of our SAN servers.

Comes down to what you want. High availability versus surefire Backup.
Old February 1, 2011, 10:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I know it uses a lot of HD space, I specified that. But it's very simple...
Old February 2, 2011, 05:16 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

yeah, for the average user - WHS is a good solution. It isn't very efficient with hard drive space, but easier and cheaper to setup than a raid system, and easier to recover from if hard drives die.
Sans Digital has a line of external drive bays - from 4-8 hard drives, and includes a PCIe drive expansion card that is needed to connect to the unit.
NCIX.com - Buy Sans Digital TR4X-B TowerRAID 4 Bay SAS/SATA to SF-8088 Mini SAS RAID0/1/5/6/10/JBOD Black - TR4X-B In Canada.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.