LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 6, 2011, 06:30 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
wow, that completely defies the point of RAID

XD

is googling SAS or SATA expander really that hard?
^ Google never really helped unless your talking about those cables with 1 to 4 sata connections on them?
Old February 7, 2011, 04:51 PM
Top Prospect

There is two different type of SAS Expander.

One is a card type where you plug in SAS cable from a SAS Controller card and it multiplies it by several more. Chenbro carries a lot of them.

Chenbro Micom Co., Ltd.

Another is drive rack or enclosures similar to eSATA multi-drive enclosures.

If you plan to use an expander, it might be cheaper to look into a SuperMicro chassis.
Old February 7, 2011, 04:53 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
Currently I would need to guess how much data I have and I would guess it's around 14TB-18TB and growing everyday.
With your stated requirement of 14-18TB and growing, you're looking at a RAID 5 array of at least 12 2TB HDDs otherwise you'd be running out of space PDQ.

Unless you already have experience with building and using RAID servers, it maybe easier to get something like the Synology DS 1511+ and the DX 510 expansion chasis, they'll give you a maximum array of 15 disks. I think the NAS goes for ~$1000 and the expansion chasis ~$500 each.

BTW Hitachi recently released their 3TB drives and the prices from NCIX is tempting... They're rumored to be shipping 4TB later this year so I'm not sure if I want to invest in large arrays of 2TB drives now unless I really do need it.

NCIX.com - Buy Hitachi Deskstar 3TB SATA3 7200RPM 3.5IN Hard Drive - 0S03086 In Canada.

Am looking forward to a HWC review of the drive... <hint... hint...>
Old February 7, 2011, 04:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

3TB is tempting but I really don't like nor trust Hitatchi drives
Old February 7, 2011, 05:01 PM
Top Prospect

I remember the "Deathstars" too but with the arrival of the Hitachi 3TB, don't think the WD 3TB can sustain its current price, if those drop down to $150-160, I'm not going to start an >10TB array with 2TB drives.
Old February 7, 2011, 05:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

I have a few Hitachi 1TB drives that have been working flawlessly for half a year or more.. The Deathstar nomenclature can die sometime soon k thx.

you can read a 2.2+TB drive from the OS (not XP), but you can't boot from a 2.2+TB drive without UEFI, right?
Old February 7, 2011, 10:54 PM
Top Prospect

Those 60/75GB IBM drives were "Deathstars", I lost 3 out of 5 in less than a year, guess the 10 year probation period is just about up...

Regarding boot it's UEFI and 64 bit for Windows, for data WD seems to require Host Bus Adaptor. From the horses mouth -- WD (top) and Hitachi (bottom):

Old February 9, 2011, 12:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexitus View Post
To get up to the maximum drive amount is by using expanders.
HP also has an exapnder. But in my expericnce it 's just easier to get a supermicro chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Anyone know off hand if you just download openfiler it allows you to have 16+TB of storage? Or is that the one you have to pay for?
Yes openfiler is only limited by your hardware. (also not all nics are supported.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Haven't read too much into your post, but just going from what I've skimed your best bet would be some raid/sata cards over limiting yourself to looking at boards with large number of SATA ports.

As for NAS solutions you should look into, heres what I'd recommend;
1. WHS v1 - Windows Home Server, nice, easy, has some cool features such as Drive Extender and duplication.
2. FreeNAS - Free, basic linux based NAS, but not hard to use the webbased GUI at all.
3. Openfiler - Free, a little more complicated to use, but has many features.
4. Amahi - Free, looks like a GREAT solution, but never having read into it or use it myself, I can't say much more than that.

Hope that helps a little
I would also add a new one i have found called Nexenta. It's based on opensolaris so your hardware needs to be sun friendly and as long as your keeping your nas under the 18TB limited it won't cost you a dime. I am currently using this on my small file server at home and am loving it.