Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 1, 2011, 11:33 AM
Rookie

Default NAS setup on a Gaming Rig?

Hello,

I have a HTPC setup in my entertainment area that i want to link to a NAS located somewhere else in the house. I was thinking of a 4 bay nas server standalone at first. Then i decided to give my old computer to my wife to use for our business and build a new sandy bridge rig for gaming.

I ordered the parts and they all came yesterday. With my luck i got one of the messed up P67 boards with the SATA 3Gb/s recall. I really dont want to have to RMA it since i ordered it online. here is the link to my build post on these forums.

My Sandy Bridge Build

So when i read the recall notice it said it does not affect the SATA 6GB/s ports so ill just hook the SDD to that and have no problem, now i have a problem, i have 4 2TB Green drives that i cant hook up to the SATA 3GB/s ports because of the flaw.

Can i get Vantec UGT-ST310R 6 Port SATA II 150 PCI Host Card w/ RAID and just setup the NAS within my gaming rig??

I have no clue when it comes to NAS at all

On a side note, can i also use both T1000 lan ports (one for gaming and the other for the NAS).

Thanks in advance.
Old February 1, 2011, 11:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

you could use VMware and host a FreeNAS install in a virtual machine.

there are a bunch of resources to this effect if you search on google. FreeNAS website has a pre-built VMware Image too, if I remember.

-I'd also RMA the board.
Old February 1, 2011, 11:54 AM

My System Specs

Honestly I do not know what you are trying to do. I really don't think this has to do w/ a NAS at all. If all you want to do is share your storage over a network, then just enable sharing on the drive. And the SATA 3Gbps on P67/H67 isn't going to kill your drives or anything like that. Performance will just start to degrade. The performance of that PCI card is going to be abysmal, more than likely far worse than any degraded P67/H67.
Old February 1, 2011, 12:11 PM
Rookie

Thank for the response, i dont want to just share them. I need to set them up in a raid and share them. i have 4TB worth of data that i cant lose. the mobo has integrated RIAD on it but i dont want to use the SATA 3GB/s ports.

I guess i may just have to RMA the board and setup the OS on the SDD while i setup the raid on the SATA 3GB/s when i get it back or just buy a NAS server.
Old February 1, 2011, 12:22 PM

My System Specs

The P67/H67 SATA issue has nothing to do w/ losing data. It has to do w/ performance degradation. Either way if you can't lose your data I hope you have a solid backup.
Old February 1, 2011, 12:54 PM
Rookie

I have been reading up on it and you are 100% correct.

So do you think it is ok to use my SSD on a SATA 3 port. Then use my 4 green drives in raid 1 on the SATA 2 ports untill i can RMA the MOBO and then just swap them out when i get a replacement?.
Old February 1, 2011, 01:00 PM

My System Specs

That is what I would do.