Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31, 2011, 08:55 PM
Rookie

Default How to set up SSD and HDD?

I have a 60GB SSD with windows 7 installed on it and now every program I try to install always goes to the SSD, Can I set it up to install programs on my HDD without always doing a custom install? because right now unless I do a custom install it always goes to my SSD drive.

Any help would be great because I need it.

Thank you.
Old January 31, 2011, 09:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you can move your program files but sometime apps don't like that. i just always install app i use alot to the ssd and put games and stuff on the hdd where i keep most of my data.
Old January 31, 2011, 10:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, you must use the custom install option to change the target directory to your HDD. Almost all programs install to your boot drive by default.
Old January 31, 2011, 10:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Yes, you must use the custom install option to change the target directory to your HDD. Almost all programs install to your boot drive by default.
What I hate is the odd programs that dont give a custom option, for those few that do I just install to c (ssd) then move to my program drive. I also move My music / my videos / my documents, ect to their own drives, Yes having 5 hdds helps plus reformating is a snap. Suree you get the odd program that doesnt like it after a format but I would say 98% work fine with out issues.

Edit : My ssd has 19.2 gb on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old February 9, 2011, 09:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yep, I use a 60GB SSD and a few different HDDs for everything else.

You are right that the odd program won't let you choose custom install and you're stuck with it installing on your SSD. BUT! there are a lot of other things you can do to keep your SSD pretty free.

1) Disable hibernate mode and delete your hibernate file
2) Change the default TEMP\ folder location for windows
3) Change all of your My documents..movies..music..etc folders locations so they default as on your HDD

HTH. When you change the location of 2 & 3, windows will understand this and automatically save your documents and temp items to the new folders (if done right) and not the original location that is on your C:\ drive.
Old February 10, 2011, 02:39 PM
Top Prospect

For apps that don't have a custom install option you can try changing *temporarily* the default location of "Program Files" by editing the "programfilesdir" or "programfilesdir (x86)" key here:

hklm\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\

However this is NOT supported and may lead to problems. Use at your own risk, YMMV, etc...

Moving most of the pagefile to the HDD will usually save some space. However retaining a small, e.g., 256MB, pagefile on the boot drive is recommended.

I've always find SequoiaView useful in managing drive space:

Technische Universiteit Eindhoven: Info SequoiaView