Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 30, 2011, 07:53 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Corsair Force 90GB SSD Single & RAID Review Comment Thread

Corsair has long been a fixture in the PC market and they have continued that tradition with a complete lineup of solid state drives. While the Nova series is geared towards entry level buyers, the Force-branded drives have been bred from the ground up for performance. In this review, we take a look at the Force 90GB, a drive which tries to strike ... [ Read full article ]
Old January 30, 2011, 09:03 PM
Banned
F@H

nice.and thats how you review an ssd!

hey ak, do you foresee any drastic price changes in the near future?
Old January 31, 2011, 02:32 AM
Rookie

Nice review. Only one remark:
I notice a bottleneck at the copy to and from benchmark. MAy i ask how this works ?
It seems the other device is limited at about 130MB a sec. So to me, it ain't the right setup to this test. It's better to use a device (or raid array) that can deliver/recieve much more then that. Like my own setup, with a 6 harddisk raid-5 array which can recieve and deliver much more then 130MB a sec. In copy to/from benchmarks i did, they trash the Intel Postville handsdown. Aldo, the differences are small; because they can't operate faster then the max. speed the other device (in my case the SSD postville) can muster.

And another thing, is the trim issue resolved with Raid setups ?
Old January 31, 2011, 04:00 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Is there any reason why the price compare is defaulted to american dollars rather then canadian?
Old January 31, 2011, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Is there any reason why the price compare is defaulted to american dollars rather then canadian?
We now have three price comparison engines: Canadian, US and UK. In this case, the Canadian and UK engines weren't showing the 90GB Force.
Old January 31, 2011, 05:51 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

nice review. sad to not see the Crucial C300 in there. A complete restart for me takes just 35 seconds (Windows 7 + P45 chipset Sata port + Single Crucial C300 64GB). Far from 44 seconds for just cold boot time (Vista) for the Corsair F90 in Raid. W7 + C300 = FTW.

Last edited by jurassic1024; January 31, 2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old January 31, 2011, 06:03 AM
Rookie

I've been looking to fit a SSD into my budget during my next round of upgrades so I appreciate the work you've put in, help me narrow it down.
Old January 31, 2011, 06:43 AM

The Crucial C300 is an SATA 3 drive. As usual, we do not begin testing new technologies until we have upgraded our test system and updated testing methodologies accordingly. In the next two months, we will have a completely new setup with an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe + Sandy Bridge processor. In addition, we will also be looking at ways to eliminate the Read / Write bottleneck as seen in the real world file transfer tests.

We are well aware of the limitations our current test system has and are hard at work overcoming each and every one of them prior to the official release of SandForce's SF1300 controller.
Old January 31, 2011, 04:19 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I really can't see upgrading until I can afford a 320 gb drive. Capacity is more important than any incremental speed gain over my last-gen drive... Too bad the manufacturers don't seem to see this; they're hell-bent on charging a premium for "new" tech, same capacity
Old January 31, 2011, 04:52 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
nice.and thats how you review an ssd!

hey ak, do you foresee any drastic price changes in the near future?
I see prices going down, but I doubt there will be any DRASTIC changes. As the companies change over to the new SF drive and the other big boys come out with new ones you MAY see the older tech based SSDs get a price slash to sell off old stock...but I doubt it. They will simply fade away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediron View Post
Nice review. Only one remark:
I notice a bottleneck at the copy to and from benchmark. MAy i ask how this works ?
It seems the other device is limited at about 130MB a sec. So to me, it ain't the right setup to this test. It's better to use a device (or raid array) that can deliver/recieve much more then that. Like my own setup, with a 6 harddisk raid-5 array which can recieve and deliver much more then 130MB a sec. In copy to/from benchmarks i did, they trash the Intel Postville handsdown. Aldo, the differences are small; because they can't operate faster then the max. speed the other device (in my case the SSD postville) can muster.

And another thing, is the trim issue resolved with Raid setups ?
Right now the other storage device is a fast HDD.
In the future this probably will be some form of RAID'ed SSDs or maybe even PCI-E based SSD. The AMD testbed is not working out and as SKYMTL stated its being replaced pretty soon.

A 64 C300 will not be as fast as the Vertex 2 100GB (or any full speed 100/120GB SF12xx SSD). The 128GB C300 would be maybe a second faster or a second slower than the SF 100/120 full speed drives. The Raid'ed 90s would be faster as well. You are trying to compare apples to oranges. It never works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikellini View Post
I really can't see upgrading until I can afford a 320 gb drive. Capacity is more important than any incremental speed gain over my last-gen drive... Too bad the manufacturers don't seem to see this; they're hell-bent on charging a premium for "new" tech, same capacity
I agree to some extent, the prices of the entry level drives are not getting that much better...BUT the speed they offer and the capacity is going up. Instead of 32GB you can get 40GB and even 60GBs in the 100 -140 price range. Still not great but its getting better.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr