Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31, 2011, 05:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
I agree to some extent, the prices of the entry level drives are not getting that much better...BUT the speed they offer and the capacity is going up. Instead of 32GB you can get 40GB and even 60GBs in the 100 -140 price range. Still not great but its getting better.
I'm not talking about entry-level drives... I paid $500 for my 160GB G2 intel, which seemed worth it at the time... Got a huge increase in performance over my HDD. But I couldn't justify paying that much for a drive that is only slightly faster and slightly larger. To me, faster is only good if capacity increases as well; I'm out of space, 3/4 of my games aren't even installed :(
Old January 31, 2011, 06:30 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikellini View Post
I'm not talking about entry-level drives... I paid $500 for my 160GB G2 intel, which seemed worth it at the time... Got a huge increase in performance over my HDD. But I couldn't justify paying that much for a drive that is only slightly faster and slightly larger. To me, faster is only good if capacity increases as well; I'm out of space, 3/4 of my games aren't even installed :(

Well mate on the high end things are even BETTER.
Your 5 bills will now basically get you a C300 256GB drive or any of the SF 240GB drives. All of which will smack your Intel around on sequential speeds and beat it on 4K speeds. You would also get 50% more size for the same coin. In another month or three that will most likely get you a 256GB C400 or the soon to be released SF drives 240GB or maybe even a mega sized Intel gen 3.

I don't see the problem as that is a significant increase is storage capacity (if nothing else) in one generation / product cycle. Its really only on the small end that price to capacity isnt seeing such large leaps.

IF 320GB for one SSD is your magic number...expect to wait for another product cycle (ie about 18mths). But then again why not just grab another SSD and stick your other stuff on it. No need for raid and nothing says you need to only use one ssd per system. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 31, 2011, 06:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

The idea of getting another ssd for games is actually appealing, somewhere around the 120 GB range. But getting a ~250 GB drive that has better synthetic performance but is only 2 seconds faster at loading programs makes no sense. Real world performance can't get much better for me; windows 7 loads in about 10 seconds (after post), most software launches pretty well instantly and I can't remember the last time I copied a large file to/from my ssd; even software installs take only seconds. Real world performance is saturated, IMO. Give me the capacity!!! I'd jump all over a 2TB ssd haha