Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 10, 2008, 04:58 AM
Top Prospect

Default Harddrive issue in Vista Ultimate

Hi all,

When I start up my PC the harddrive will seek for a good 10 minutes solid. I have the indexing disabled in computer management and on my drive. Does any one have an idea whats going on ?

Thanks !
Francois G
2x GTX480 SLI
120 SSD
Sound Blaster XFI
1200W Antec PSU
Old January 10, 2008, 05:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You mean shortly after completing boot? Last time I checked my PII w/ win 2000 does that to all three of it's drives (one after another) but interestingly enough once when I popped in a Radeon 7000 I had flashed for temporary use in it I did not get all the drive access+system locking up during access right after boot. Though, Truth be told I have not restarted much since I stuck that Radeon 7000 in place of it's older Matrox full time so I can't remember if it does it any more... I don't seem to need to restart much anyway as all I do on the thing is bugger with zmodeler and play StarTrek Bridge Commander along with Carmageddon TDR 2000. (I have the first two for Mac but the second one sucks and the first one is ok but I never get around to playing it on my primary system due to using it for other things.)

Anyway, I have checked for viruses and such as well as disabling something else that I think possibly had something to do with indexing but I can't remember. Actually, as a test once I disabled all anti-virus software and rebooted to see if that was it but it was not. Eventually I suspected it might have been creating files for use with virtual memory but mine is not set up to use the boot drive for virtual memory(only it's other two drives) so I don't think that could be it either.

In the end I don't know, seems like it has always done this ever since I moved from windows 98 to 2000 on it so I generally just use standby mode instead of shutting down when it is not in use. On a side note I never encountered this with XP when I had that running on this probably about two or so years ago.

I don't mean to hijack this thread too much but why can it not shut down the PSU and just run off trickle or whatever like a Mac while in "deep sleep"? Having the PSU fan run 24/7 is silly, annoying and unnecessary.
/me glances at his sister's G4 in deep sleep just a bit to his left and notes how no fans are running and the only signs of life are a tiny little surface mount LED going steady on it's mobo and the white power LED on the front under the power button slowly pulsing.